Catholic Latin Mass as Healing

• 18 Replies

OlderWiser

Catholic Latin Mass as Healing
« on: January 24, 2015, 09:08:43 PM »
I have rejoined the Catholic Church in the past year and now attend a latin mass or a Mass in ExtraOrdinary Form.   It is like therapy every Sunday.   Just to worship God with hundreds of people in a reverent serious manner.   

When ever the prayer of foregiving our sins as we foregive others, I think of my mother and my extended FOO.   If they would only say sorry for something - but they never are sorry and that is mental illness. 

It is just a wonderful thing each Sundary

bonnieG

Re: Catholic Latin Mass as Healing
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:34:32 PM »
OlderWiser,
I never had the opportunity to attend a church as a child and I feel like I have missed something of value.

My Npd parents deeply mistrusted church/religion in general and although my Dad was raised Catholic he never tried to talk to me about God, or religion. We were left to our own devices, as kids. Which I felt was wrong.

So thanks for posting about the peace you feel in the Latin Mass.
I am really considering investigating local churches. I have always believed in God with deep reverence and awe, and finally I feel like God believes in me, too.
Bonnieg

OlderWiser

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 12:26:31 PM »
Please go.   I am still a bit nervous about all the people so I go 20 minutes early and pray and then pray for 10 minutes after mass and pray.  I leave using the handicapped entrance so I don't have to deal with folks - as I am a bit shy.

For the latin mass, I find it is the same people sitting in the same places and it becomes very comfortable.   I plan to start to socialize more in the next mass.

I hope you find peace there

sasha~

• scapegoat no more
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 10:17:57 AM »
I really like churches that use a liturgy. When I can't get to the episcopal church that's far away, I'll attend a local catholic church - even though we're not roman catholic. (I miss the communion, though, coz you have to be catholic to take it.) The liturgy is such a comfort to me. I don't have to feel anything or be anything - I just participate in the ritual in a way that millions of other people all over the world and all through time are participating. It feels like it takes all the pressure off me to believe things or feel things or think things. I can just exist - just as I am - and tap into something that's bigger than me. It's so lovely and such a comfort.
~ If someone loves you, it should FEEL like they love you ~

TLF

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 02:12:30 PM »
Older Wiser, I have been attending the EF for almost 2 years.  It's the old rite. We use the 196 roman missal.  Women wear the chapel veil. I do First Fridays. I go to Confession monthly. Try to say the rosary daily.

Yes. It is very reverent. Very comforting.  I will never live anywhere without a latin mass nearby.  It is my lifeline.

Thanks for posting this. Many don't understand it. Nice to know there is someone else here like me in this manner.

OlderWiser

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 10:13:32 PM »
I am so glad that the Mass is helpful to others as it is to me.   We do have the veils also.  I went on Amazon and bought a kneeler for $100.  I put in the living room and pray about twice a day.   It really helps the mind settle down from all the abuse from my past.

I did the confession sacrament earlier this evening and it was also very healing.

It surprises me to say that these things are helpful because a year ago I would not have even thought of these things.

TLF

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 04:22:12 AM »
o.w. - I was baptized Catholic as an infant.  My grandmother made sure.

After that I pretty much wandered about in the world with no religious habits, formation.  It was just a big void in my family.

It took me 50 years (and I believe a lot of praying on the part of my grandmother) to get me where I am.  It wasn't easy as I set foot in nearly every denomination out there.  Mostly Christian.  Some just had "Christian" on their doors.  But in retrospect, had nothing at all to do with Christianity.

With the goading of a close friend, I finally succumbed to RCIA classes and was confirmed in the Church in 2010.  It was a Novus Ordo.  But hey, what did I know.  And truthfully I will always be thankful to them because they got me on the road. 

But even there, I still felt I hadn't gone all the way.  There was a certain irreverence.  People shuffling in and out in football jerseys and shorts and flip flops.  The Church, itself, rather resembled a Denny's.  So bland.  The Adoration Chapel reminded me of a children's library.  The holding hands during the Our Father (The Pater Noster), the dreaded songs - flying on wings of eagles or some such tripe - the communion in hand with no kneelers.  The actual "clapping" at the end of the Mass.

Something just wasn't right for me there.

I knew of a little FSSP chapel not far.  I decided to go for a Thursday Daily Mass (low).  I found it intriguing.  I went the following Sunday to the High Mass.  That was a year and half ago.  I can honestly say, I've found my home.

Attending the Latin is not easy.  It requires concentration, much reverence, and a whole lot of discipline.  And daily examination of conscience.  And frequent confession (not just once a year).  It's demanding of your time (prayers, rosaries, devotions, First Fridays).  It requires the exercising of your intellectual muscle.

I call it the Church for Grown Ups.  There's just no messing around there.  And the homilies are hard, straight to the point, intellectual.  No fluff.

I can say, out the ashes of my mess of a life, part of all it was getting me to the One True Church.

Which, of course, was God's Plan all along. 

MaryGrace

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 03:16:24 PM »
While I do not attend a TLM parish, I do belong to a very traditional parish that has the ordinary form, although it offers the latin Mass on Saturday evenings for those who are drawn to it. We receive on the tongue kneeling not standing (unless you are unable to kneel), we have a good amount of latin interspersed, we have sanctus bells. We also have confession available before every Mass and we have at least 3 daily Mass times to pick from. There are only male alter servers (and a lot of them). The rosary is prayed before every Mass. This January we began having 24 hour adoration. I found this parish 11 years ago and have been so blessed by it. I love being able to stop in for adoration at any time. I do find it very healing.
My mom has paranoid pd. My dad is in my corner and never sides with her even though they are still married. Dad & I have a great relationship -please realize that. Thank you. :)

TLF

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 03:46:15 AM »
MaryGrace, while it may not be Latin, it does sound very traditional and reverent.  And that's a good thing.

I don't know where you live, but look up the fssp.org.  They are traditional and fully under the Roman pontificate.  It is not an illicit "sect."

There just might be one around you. 

If you love tradition, you would fall in love with the FSSP.

Either way, we are so blessed, aren't we.

MaryGrace

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 05:07:12 AM »
TLF I am familiar with the fssp and I know they are in communion with Rome. I love the latin we do have in our Mass but I do not feeled drawn to the TLM. We do have a latin Mass on Saturday evenings for those who prefer it and I am thrilled it's becoming more widely available. I have been to a fully latin Mass it is beautiful but as I didn't grow up with it I felt somewhat lost and was more distracted by trying to figure out what I was supposed do. I am thankful to be at a reverent, traditional parish. I didn't grow up with that either as the 70's and 80's had a lot of misguided experimentation going on but the ordinary form is much more familiar to me. My Catholic faith has been a sustaining force during so much grief and heartache. I feel so incredibly blessed.
My mom has paranoid pd. My dad is in my corner and never sides with her even though they are still married. Dad & I have a great relationship -please realize that. Thank you. :)

TLF

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 10:24:22 PM »
Mary Grace,  yeah, the TLM takes a lot of concentration and familiarizing yourself with what is going on.  I'm still learning!

HappyMom

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 01:27:25 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm so happy being back in the Catholic Church! I know that a lot of us may blame a strict Catholic upbringing for some of our problems, but I have learned that the Church had nothing to do with my abuse. My father was Catholic in name only. Never prayed with us, rarely went to mass. Left it up to my protestant (converted, but heart not in it) mother to do the best she could.

I realized that if I had truly been raised in a Catholic home, I would have been much happier! I think that if my Father had embraced the faith, and went to regular confession, he wouldn't have beat us up so much.

My faith has helped me slowly get rid of any fleas I have picked up and is helping me keep my temper with a sometimes difficult child.

Re: Mass- Before I started going to Mass, I could never wake up early on weekends. I was really worried every Sunday how I was going to deal with my exhaustion and get to Mass. Somehow, I was able to go and I feel great every time I go! I never feel exhausted  :)

I wrestle with Honor thy Mother and Father... However, I am honoring from a distance. I send small gifts on birthdays and Xmas and have very short conversations with my father when I call. I usually ask a question regarding one of his hobbies because this makes him happy and he won't get in a bad mood with my Mom. (My Mom said he gets upset sometimes when whichever child he has currently disowned calls!- there's always one!)

Also praying for my abuser helps too. I pray for his conversion. I truly believe there are some forces beyond his control- family lore said that during WWII in Europe he had to live with a babysitter in the mountains for several months as a young child. Because he cried all the time, the babysitter (who was also a witch?) put a curse on him.  I was going to ask a priest about it.

I find great comfort in Mary and the Rosary.

Rosaleemarie

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 10:58:31 PM »
I also attend a TLM at my parish (Diocesan).  It's been a blessing and I agree that it has been very healing for me,too. 
My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style. Maya Angelou

TLF

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 02:25:57 AM »
Do any of you have a answer to this question:

I am a Catholic convert of five years.  My marriage was convalidated in the Church 5 years ago.  I can honestly say I was pressured into it because I waited six months after being received to have the marriage convalidated.

So - IF I were to divorce and seek a degree of nullity, would I answer the questionnaire starting from the original date I was married (March, 1982?)  Or, would I answer the questions from the date of convalidation (December 2, 2010).

If any of you have seen those questions, they ask a lot about before the marriage - like, what was your dating experience?  How did you meet him?  What was the dynamic?

Stuff like that.

I don't know.  Does the Church consider my 30 some years of marriage BEFORE the convaliation as "dating?"  I would think think not.  Therefore, logic would say that I go all the way back to 1982.

I just don't know.

It's a precarious situation that I have gotten myself into.

I shouldn't have done it.  I knew, that day, I shouldn't have done it.  But I did it anyway, which puts yet another block in the road for me.   

MaryGrace

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 06:59:05 PM »
I don't know for sure but what I do know is the church looks at at the time of the marriage vows were all conditions met for a valid marriage. Clearly in the marriage   before convalidation they were not or you would not need the convalidation. At the time of your convalidation it would seem you did not consent freely. Freely consenting is one of the conditions for a valid marriage. You need to talk to a trusted priest. If you were not honest with the priest doing your convalidation prep you need to put that information in your marriage inquiry. An inquiry will not be started until there is a civil divorce.

OlderWiser

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 11:20:41 AM »
I think Mary Grace has got it correct on the convalidation.  It is the first time I have heard of that concept.  I have a book on Canon Law and will look it up when I get a chance.  There are google searches on this topic.   

TLF

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 06:19:44 PM »
OK, seriously headed for divorce.

But being Catholic, this is so hard.  I'm really conflicted.  The homily today was on the Gift and Virtue of Fortitude from the Holy Spirit.

So I'm listening.  And I'm can take it two ways.  I can say to myself, I'M not the one with the fortitude, the COURAGE to finish out the mission (the marriage) that I'm in.  So, I'm in the wrong.  God is angry with me.  God will not forgive me for this.  This is not His Will.  It's mine and I'm just being selfish and weak because I can't take this anymore.

On the other hand, I think - no - it's NPD without the fortitude.  He had NOT the courage to take up the graces - all that were given him, and do what he needed to do.  HE had not the courage to follow up on the promises, to let go his sense of entitlement, pride. 

And so here we are, after 33 years.

I just can't help feeling so guilty.

Is divorce a sin? Or is it tolerated?

I want to do God's Will.  But I'm just so confused.  I tried.  I tried.  I tried. 

God must know this.  Will he have mercy on me?  Will he forgive me for what I am about to do?

Rosaleemarie

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 04:28:39 PM »
OK, seriously headed for divorce.

But being Catholic, this is so hard.  I'm really conflicted.  The homily today was on the Gift and Virtue of Fortitude from the Holy Spirit.

So I'm listening.  And I'm can take it two ways.  I can say to myself, I'M not the one with the fortitude, the COURAGE to finish out the mission (the marriage) that I'm in.  So, I'm in the wrong.  God is angry with me.  God will not forgive me for this.  This is not His Will.  It's mine and I'm just being selfish and weak because I can't take this anymore.

On the other hand, I think - no - it's NPD without the fortitude.  He had NOT the courage to take up the graces - all that were given him, and do what he needed to do.  HE had not the courage to follow up on the promises, to let go his sense of entitlement, pride. 

And so here we are, after 33 years.

I just can't help feeling so guilty.

Is divorce a sin? Or is it tolerated?

I want to do God's Will.  But I'm just so confused.  I tried.  I tried.  I tried. 

God must know this.  Will he have mercy on me?  Will he forgive me for what I am about to do?

First thing - God knows that you have tried.  Also that you are seeking to do His will.  I would say you are the one with fortitude if it's been 33 years.   :hug: :hug: :hug:
My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style. Maya Angelou

WhiteCups

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 03:03:58 PM »
Thank you for this thread.  I also sometimes find Catholic mass healing; it is a lovely feeling.
Embrace who you are