What are you doing for Lent? (if you observe it)

• 7 Replies

HappyMom

What are you doing for Lent? (if you observe it)
« on: February 17, 2015, 09:05:47 PM »
I'm giving up surfing the net for Lent. That means I won't be on the forum either. I'm going to use the time to read up on personality disorders. I'm still in shock after figuring out what personality disorders are, and coming to the realization that there are people in my past and present that have one. I found myself becoming addicted to researching PD's online, and thought maybe I need a break from my phone, computer etc.

See you after Easter:)

CoveredByGrace

Re: What are you doing for Lent? (if you observe it)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 10:11:55 PM »
Hmmm, I'm not sure. I just came back from a social media hiatus when I was prepping for my nursing boards. It's tough but can be done (even though you may not see this until Easter!  ;) )
I drank an insane amount of Pepsi during that study period, and I was telling friends that I need to do a Pepsi purge...so that may be what I'll give up.

HappyMom

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 10:17:12 PM »
Thanks, CoveredbyGrace. Lent starts at midnight so I will be on an internet binge until then :)

MaggieMayCat

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 10:35:59 PM »
My dear FIL - 90 year old gentleman - not Catholic/Episcopal always says "I'm giving up watermelon for Lent"  - he cracks me up... Not sure what I'm going to give up for Lent - probably candy/sweets.
I may be the black sheep of the family, but some of the white sheep are not as white as they try to appear. 

Leonard- "You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar."
Sheldon-  "You can catch even MORE flies with manure.  What's your point?"        ......from The Big Bang Theory

Rainstorm

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 04:26:40 PM »
What is the purpose of giving up something for lent?

TLF

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 04:42:48 PM »
The purpose of Lent is to suffer (or hurt) just a bit as a reminder of the great sufferings of Christ and what he did for us.  It's sort of like trying (in our small, human way) to walk with God (or carry our crosses). It's in remembrance of The Passion.  This is also why we do the Fourteen Stations of the Cross during Lent (usually on Fridays). 

Lent, in the liturgical calendar, is a time of penance, reflection, a deepening of conversion, and reconciliation.  Easter Sunday is actually the highest Holy day on the calendar.

Hope that helps.

Rainstorm

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 01:51:57 PM »
Thanks TLF. My church actually talked about Lent yesterday but I don't recall them talking about it before.

MaryGrace

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 10:00:17 AM »
My husband & I have been doing "Best Lent Ever"http://dynamiccatholic.com/bestlentever/ together which has been fantastic. I also gave up meat for lent and limited my dairy. I've increased my focus on prayer, reading the scriptures everyday and going through the house gathering stuff to donate.
For the poster who asked the purpose of lent -there are 3 focuses prayer, fasting and alms giving. All are done to remind us of Christ's sacrifice. To draw us closer to the Lord. It a 40 day "retreat" of sorts in preparation for Easter. 40 days in reference to Christ's 40 days in the desert.
My mom has paranoid pd. My dad is in my corner and never sides with her even though they are still married. Dad & I have a great relationship -please realize that. Thank you. :)