Since God created us....

• 6 Replies

chocolatechip

Since God created us....
« on: April 12, 2015, 11:48:04 PM »
How do we come into terms that he is a loving all-knowing God is he put us through such heartache?

I'm finding it so difficult to see God as good. He created me after all....why must this life be so difficult?

I understand I'm a sinner. (scapegoat role and humanness brings it to light a little bit.)

I also understand these people were bad and it wasn't because I was bad. I understand the circumstances as we live in a broken world but HOW do we overcome this belief that...we're not THAT bad so God must be all good?

As a scapegoat, I find it soooooo difficult to see God as good. My life sees God as judgmental and passive aggressive and revengeful.

Can you clear my mind? I believe in a God but not in a loving God. Help?

arianna

Re: Since God created us....
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 12:04:29 AM »
Here is how I answer that for myself:

We are created with a lower self which is ego driven and causes us a lot of heartache.  We are also given a higher self, a soul that has a God-like quality.  Our responsibility in life is to rise above the lower self and realize our higher self and thus realize God.  This is not just a responsibility; it is also a joy.  The gift of life is the slow and steady self-realization.  It is a monumental challenge to separate all the pain and suffering of life from the innate goodness in all of us.

The "sinner" in my mind is the ego driven self that is a combination of how our minds work and how we were raised. 

Why would God place our souls in these wonky minds, unruly bodies, and impossibly circumstances,knowing that many of use will NEVER reach that magical state of self realization?  I mean realistically, most people on the planet won't even get this far, asking difficult questions.  Most people (I think...) just struggle to get by in the world and suffer greatly until they die.  That part of it, I have no way to wrap my mind around it.  I guess reincarnation makes sense in terms of fairness; miserable people who die before they start to enjoy life will at least come back and have another go at it.  But maybe that's just wishful thinking because I want things to be fair.

Finallyfreed

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 12:07:56 AM »
God is good and love. Anything else is societies perversion or exploitation of god, church or religion.

I think sinners in the hands of an agry god is perhaps the foggiest, negative, sermon ever preached an it set the religious tone for most mqjor denominations. I would love to see a counter balance of souls in the hand of a loving God.

What you are describing is a fog, judgemental religion not spiritual. The difference is compassion, grace, forgiveness and empathy.

Pariah

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 02:48:32 PM »
I cannot blame God for what people do to me. God allows humanity free will to make choices. Christ taught us the two greatest commandments were to love God with all our heart, our minds, our souls,,and to love our neighbor.

I keep struggling and plugging on to try to rise above the meanness and to keep myself from returning in like-kind because when I do it,  I am considered despicable, ugly and any other derogatory word that comes to their mind. But when they do it, they are justified.

Rainstorm

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 04:58:38 PM »
God allows gives us freewill, and because of sin there are a lot of people doing a lot of hurtful things in this world. In spite of that, I don't think I'd want to live in a world where we are all robots but we had peace because that wouldn't be genuine peace. I see God as very patient and loving, so he isn't quick to "strike down" evil people like we'd sometimes want him to do, because he is giving them a chance to change and repent. Unfortunately that also means some of us suffer at the hands of evil people.

chocolatechip

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 09:28:33 PM »
Thanks for the clarity. everyone!  :smug: *peace*

FoggyNight

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 06:16:35 PM »
I've never posted over here before, but I'll give you my biblical two-cents worth...

A story in the bible really stumped me one day, until I really thought about what it said.  This will agree with what Pariah said as well about free-will...  Be warned though, it may challenge your interpretation of God's Omnipotence!

In the story of Abraham and his son Isaac where God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son, there is a very unusual twist in the story that we often over look.  God had challenged Abraham to sacrifice his own son (as a test of his faith & devotion).  If you put yourself in Abraham's shoes, you can see that he probably realized that since God provided Isaac, then he would overcome this as well.  So, Abraham set out to fulfill God's request, no questions asked.

As Abraham was preparing Isaac to sacrifice, God does nothing to intervene.  It wasn't until Abraham reached to grab the knife to slay Isaac that the angel calls out to Abraham to stop him, twice!  It would appear the angel had to get Abraham's attention before he killed Isaac.

But here is the twist, which I believe shows free will at work, and when God would intervene...

Gen 22:12
Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.

"Now I know" ??  Didn't the angel know before?  Didn't God know before?  God had to test Abraham, which means God did not know exactly what Abraham would choose until he did.  If we are to truly have free will, we must have an opportunity to choose and to act on that choice, which I believe is demonstrated in this one verse.

And so I apply this verse to the PD in my life... "Now I know" they behave like a PD, so I must live my life accordingly if I am going to keep living with them!
“The more you have loved and have allowed yourself to suffer because of your love, the more you will be able to let your heart grow wider and deeper.”  -Henri Nouwen