Because He first love me

• 7 Replies

1Brightnight

Because He first love me
« on: April 23, 2015, 03:37:38 PM »
I'm at a point in my life where I'm searching my heart, doing some self reflecting, rediscovering who I am in Christ Jesus. See, I had allowed myself to become angry, hateful, vengeful to a point where I was not happy. I no longer recognized myself, my true self. I use to laugh, sing out loud just about anywhere....be it in the grocery store, driving in my car, with, or to my children. I was content with loving for no other reason other than because He, Christ Jesus first loved me. Then, the last 12 years of my life happened ( a bit of everything that one endures that landed us here to Out of the FOG) and I became sullen, angry, victim turned bully, nasty, bitter, basically UNLOVING....everything Christ is not. I no longer sang, instead, I cried a whole lot.

Truth be told......I'm crying, weeping today as I type but for all together a different reason. Today, right now, in my spirit, I'm here to tell you, to tell somebody, WHOMSOEVER this touches, that there's HOPE! There's hope and healing in the name of Christ Jesus! He isn't done with you just yet, He isn't done with me! Do you hear me sister, brother in Christ? I'm encouraging you to love, continue running your race! Don't sit there for another minute thinking you have wasted your most precious years. Don't think it was all done in vain....for these three things continue forever: faith, hope, and love. And the greatest of these is love. No, the task at hand isn't over, endure to the end! I quit trying to understand it here, we won't. Just love because He first love you, amen? Hold on just a little while longer till we see His face, amen? I want to see His face, you want to see His face. Blessings to you and your family in the name Jesus Christ.

PS: In remembering my mom and the song she use to hum to us as little girl. From moms heart, to mines, to yours:

FURTHER ALONG    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9JW41Lv8s

Tempted and tried we're oft made to wonder
Why it should be thus all the day long
While there are others living about us
Never molested though in the wrong

Chorus

Farther along we'll know all about it
Farther along we'll understand why
Cheer up my brother live in the sunshine
We'll understand it all by and by

When death has come and taken our loved ones
It leaves our home so lonely and drear
And then do we wonder why others prosper
Living so wicked year after year

Chorus

When we see Jesus coming in glory
When he comes down from his home in the sky
Then we shall meet him in that bright mansion
We'll understand it all by and by

(Brad Paisley - Farther Along Lyrics)

Sincerely,
Your sister, friend in Christ Jesus
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 03:41:54 PM by 1Brightnight »

farfromthetree

Re: Because He first love me
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 02:59:59 PM »
Does this mean I should spend time with the PD people in my life? I'm asking because I'm very confused about this. I keep Christ far away now because it's bad for me to turn the other cheek and let my FOO abuse me further.

sunflowerXY

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:15:36 PM »
Thank you for this post, @1Brightnight. I recognize a lot of myself in your post  about having grown bitter to the point of being unhappy. @farfromthetree, no, I don't believe this menas that you should spend time with the PD people in your life, but if you are not in their life yet the bitterness and hurt is still eating away at you, then you are still suffering. And I believe Christ can free us from that, and heal our hearts. I believe it's good to have boundaries in place with respect to those who abuse you, but the hatred toward them can infect your love towards other people who are good to you (for me anyways, that's what's happening when uBPDMIL irritates me so much that I get angry at H), and can sap the life right out of you. That's where I need Christ.

Rainstorm

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 05:08:59 PM »
I'm far from being an expert but I do not think that the verse that talks about turning the other cheek is about us accepting or inviting others to abuse us. I think it is more about us not retaliating or seeking revenge.

farfromthetree

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 07:23:07 PM »
I'm not convinced. What about this:

If someone slaps you on one cheek, offer the other cheek also. If someone demands your coat, offer your shirt also. Luke 6:29

sunflowerXY

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »
@farfromthetree: Luke 6:29 is a difficult passage with respect to a repeatedly abusive situation, for sure. I don't think it's about inviting to be slapped again, but being willing to trust again.

In a bit more context:
But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.
Do to others as you would have them do to you.
Luke 6:27-31

I think that last verse is key in interpreting this passage. Especially since this last verse is a common theme in the bible (Matthew 7:12). I believe that the gospel is about giving people another chance, and Christ is enabling us to do so because when we are hurt, he himself nourishes and heals us. This process may take time, and we shouldn't rush it but all the while, we should keep the hope that Christ is able to completely heal us and allow us to love and trust again. It is radical, for sure, (and I myself am not doing very great in this respect at the moment) but even so it is the hope that I cling to. That Christ's love within me can be strong enough that I can trust again, without setting myself up for repeated abuse. And that includes setting some boundaries. I agree with you that boundaries are not mentioned in this passage at all, but that's why we can't just base our theology on only one passage. Boundaries are deeply biblical (I'm just reading "boundaries" by Cloud and Townsend, if the topic is of interest to you), and do not contradict Christian love.

Yet, even this passage ends with "Do to others as you would have them do to you". And I would want others to let me feel the consequences of my own sinful behavior, to not simply adsorb the abuse I'm giving out and thereby keep me from seeing the errors of my own ways. If I'm being abusive, I would not want them to turn the other cheek and be victimized. Would I want them to abuse me back, take vengeance or decide to never ever give me a chance again?  No. And so that's how I want to (ideally) do onto others in an abusive situation. 
But there are situations where I'm doing something for sound reasons (i.e. I hurt somebody due to a pure accident, completely non-intentional, or - to be imaginative :) - I take somebody's coat to extinguish a fire, which is a good thing by itself but may ruin the coat) or due to a momentary lack of better judgement. In that case, I would want others to forgive and move on, to keep the relationship with me going, not hold a grudge and not act like this is defining my person or even predicting my future behavior. In those situations, I would want others to truly "offer the other cheek" and trust me with their shirt also. So that's how I want to do onto others in interactions where I have no grounds to expect a repetitive, abusive pattern.

Does any of this make sense?

farfromthetree

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 02:37:34 PM »
@farfromthetree: 
Does any of this make sense?

Um...well...sounds a little tortured but it's okay. My wrestling with this continues.

One thing I've learned is to keep a light touch in regard to scripture. And to be able to laugh at myself. So chalk it up to my smooth cerebral cortex.

:upsidedown:

1Brightnight

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 02:55:00 PM »
Does this mean I should spend time with the PD people in my life? I'm asking because I'm very confused about this. I keep Christ far away now because it's bad for me to turn the other cheek and let my FOO abuse me further.

No, it doesn't mean you have to spend time with anybody that constantly hurts you, you can love em from a distance. I understand the turning  of the cheek... being a Christian doesn't make me a pushover either. All I'm saying really is...there's hope still. You may not see it today nor even tomorrow, but Christ promises us to someday wipe our tears away....don't lose hope. Don't allow bitterness to creep in until it over takes you. I was there and once "there", then the enemy wins. I never wanted to stop loving, for that's what I do best. My hope is not in man but in Christ.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 02:57:31 PM by 1Brightnight »