Are we being paranoid?

• 7 Replies

Mapleleaf14

Are we being paranoid?
« on: August 01, 2015, 10:53:11 PM »
So a younger man around 25-30 has been ringing our doorbell multiple times every few days and he just stands outside of our front gate and rings the door bell over and over again. I thought it was just a salesman... He doesn't look like a process server or police officer, but DH's first ins tic is that it has something to do with my PD aunt. Either she has asked someone to harass us or something like that and now we are a little worried. This has happened twice in the last week. He rings the doorbell, we look outside (he can't see us thank goodness), the dog barks, he waits about 30 seconds and rings it again. Then does that probably 5 more times before he leaves.  What should we do? I am literally scared to answer it because what if it is someone there to harass us sent by my PD?

closure_with_clarity

Re: Are we being paranoid?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 11:23:58 PM »
Perhaps print and post a temporary "No Solicitation" sign.

I love this type that breaks it down in simple, but very obvious not to be misinterpreted terms.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/23/64/d6/2364d6807920a80f9a6f869a1ed899f1.jpg

Or if in a really sarcastic and not so subtle mood something like this  ;)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8iu4fLSDRWE/VQnkF9ykOVI/AAAAAAAAJvo/uvE_7qUMOew/s1600/no%2Bsolicitation.jpg
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 11:32:58 PM by closure_with_clarity »
Let go of the people that dull your shine. Poison your spirit. And bring you drama. Cancel your subscription to their issues.  :)

kayjewel

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 02:42:02 AM »
Call the police and let them handle it.

There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.
-- C. G. Jung

Inurdreams

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 11:49:18 AM »
Wow, I'd be paranoid too!

Process servers will leave a note if someone does not answer the door and usually carry papers with them for you to sign, so if neither of these are seen then it's most likely not a process server.  (In the US, anyway.)

Seems like if it were some sort of salesman they would also leave a business card.  I know I get a lot of people in my neighborhood knocking on doors.  I never answer but they usually leave a card.

Religious people usually travel in pairs and carry a bible.

Occasionally I get an odd knock on the door that doesn't seem to fit any of the above examples and I simply do not answer the door.  It's sort of like getting a call from a number I don't recognize.  I don't answer.  I figure if it's important they will leave a message, if they don't then it's probably not important.  Same with people knocking on the door or ringing the bell.  If it's important they will leave a note or business card.

I am not sure how the police could get to your house in time to catch someone ringing your bell but I guess it's worth a try.  It would be better if you could get the license number on the car they arrive in, if you can see it.  And I am not sure it's against the law for someone to ring your bell.  But it might be worth a try to post a No Soliciting note.  Not sure what the legal ramifications are for violators though.

If it were me, I'd take a pic of this guy. Or even a video every single time this person shows up.  You just never know if that might come in handy.  This is something you could take to the police should you decide to file harassment charges.  And I would keep a record of the days and times this happened.

It could be like you said, an FM sent by your PD.  I have had that happen before, too but never answered the door.

Oddly we did have a rather persistent door knocker just recently.  Never left a note.  Came by once a day for several days.  One day DH happened to be home when this person arrived so he answered the door.  Turns out it was someone in the neighborhood that was going around telling the residents that there was a new summer camp starting and wanted to invite any children we had to come to this camp.  I found it strange that this person had no brochures or anything about this camp but since we have no small children we sent him on his way and he never came back.  So it could be something perfectly reasonable like that, even if it did seem a little creepy.

Edit to add:  Obviously this person has your address or they wouldn't be ringing your bell.  If it were really important they could simply mail you something.  This is why I am leaning toward an FM.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 12:28:59 PM by Inurdreams »
Peek not through the keyhole lest ye be vexed. - Stephen King

Response to a Flying Monkey:  Apparently you are suffering under the delusion that I give a damn.

GarbageChild

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 09:33:51 PM »
A robber checking if people are home?  Take a picture, go to police!

bunnie

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 01:58:17 PM »
Hey Mapleleaf,
What's going on with this? Has the guy been back?
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize - Voltaire

Mapleleaf14

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 09:20:29 PM »
Garbage and bunnie - interestingly enough, we kept track of which days he was coming and this week, he did not come on any of those days or at all. On the news, I saw a guy who looked a bit like him who was arrested for breaking into a shoe store across from our neighborhood... It might just be a coincidence but it might have been him??

On another note, my PD has been asking around about me again. So I'm expecting a flare up pretty soon.

bunnie

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 02:43:43 PM »
Ooh I hope that was the guy and he's put away!
Let us know if the pd strikes again.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize - Voltaire