Dependent Personality Disorder on this website inaccurate, harmful

• 5 Replies

KnowInformation

I believe the list of traits listed for Dependent Personality Disorder on this website are grossly inaccurate.

OutOfTheFog lists things for DPD such as blaming, emotional blackmail, sense of entitlement, sabotage, and believing that minor events are catastrophic. This website won't let me post links, but I'll try to type out the link to the exact page:
outofthefog dot net/Disorders/DPD dot html

People with Dependent Personality Disorder do NOT have a sense of entitlement. They actually have the complete opposite - they are extremely passive and defer to others in areas of their decision-making. They put aside their own opinions for the sake of pleasing or helping others, and allow others to impose on them even if it's inconvenient to them. They most certainly do not sabotage. They avoid confrontation, to the point where it negatively affects their life.

One of the big traits that shows up in DPD that this website doesn't even list, is that people with DPD have trouble initiating or starting tasks.

I'm fairly certain almost ALL the traits which were incorrectly listed on this website as belonging to DPD are traits that belong to Borderline Personality Disorder. BDP is distinct and different diagnosis.

This is the DSM's very different description of DPD:
A pervasive and excessive need to be taken care of that leads to
submissive and clinging behavior and fears of separation, beginning
by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated
by five (or more) of the following:
1. has difficulty making everyday decisions without an excessive
amount of advice and reassurance from others
2. needs others to assume responsibility for most major areas of
his or her life
3. has difficulty expressing disagreement with others because of
fear of loss of support or approval. Note: Do not include realistic
fears of retribution.
4. has difficulty initiating projects or doing things on his or her
own (because of a lack of self-confidence in judgment or abilities
rather than a lack of motivation or energy)
5. goes to excessive lengths to obtain nurturance and support
from others, to the point of volunteering to do things that are
unpleasant
6. feels uncomfortable or helpless when alone because of exaggerated
fears of being unable to care for himself or herself
7. urgently seeks another relationship as a source of care and support
when a close relationship ends
8. is unrealistically preoccupied with fears of being left to take care
of himself or herself

This is Psychology Today's list of symptoms for DPD, none of them sabotage, blackmail or entitlement:

Difficulty making decisions without reassurance from others
Extreme passivity
Problems expressing disagreements with others
Avoiding personal responsibility
Avoiding being alone
Devastation or helplessness when relationships end
Unable to meet ordinary demands of life
Preoccupied with fears of being abandoned
Easily hurt by criticism or disapproval
Willingness to tolerate mistreatment and abuse from others

If someone googles "Dependent Personality Disorder" OutOfTheFog is one of the first sites that pop up. Imagine if someone were newly diagnosed, and this was the information they received. I've seen some information websites even quote or cite OutofTheFog, probably thinking it was a site run by professionals or experts, not realizing it was well meaning family members of people who have been diagnosed.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:42:50 PM by KnowInformation »

xredshoesx

• Administrator
Re: Dependent Personality Disorder on this website inaccurate, harmful
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:11:51 AM »
thanks for the feedback.

what brings you to the site?

Cottonanx

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 10:30:08 AM »
This is helpful to me, since if I were to self-diagnose, DPD would be the one. Thanks.
https://perfectpanicky.wordpress.com/
My story of growing up with parentification and living with anxiety as an adult.

eclipse

• Out of the FOG Website
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 07:59:20 AM »

Thanks for bringing to our attention. I agree the list of traits on that page needs to be reviewed.

eclipse

• Out of the FOG Website
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 12:27:07 AM »

The list has been updated with some of your suggestions.

What belongs/doesn't belong on the list is very subjective of course. My ex was diagnosed with DPD by a leading psychologist from one of the worlds top universities. Thing is he also diagnosed her with comorbid HPD - and if you know HPD you will know that it contrasts with the more classically passive DSM description of DPD. That's probably why I included some more aggressive, yet still dependency nurturing, behaviors on the original list.

I tend to think DPD is different from straight passivity - but what do I know?

The "missing" trait you mentioned is somewhat covered in "low functioning" link and in the other "low..." traits. Probably could write more but that's true of just about the entire site!

BTW if you followed the 2013 drama over the DSM V definitions for PD's you will know that DPD almost got thrown out altogether along with HPD and NPD. Eventually they decided to leave the DSM-IV definitions unchanged. I take comfort in knowing that even the best minds in psychology can't agree on what the real diagnostic criteria ought to be. If they are unsure, then we shouldn't get too hung up ourselves on diagnostic criteria.

Thanks for your input & let us know what you think.

Cottonanx

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 04:07:43 PM »
I need to add that I don't ACTUALLY think I have DPD--more like my parents tried as hard as they could to raise me to have it, but it didn't stick...and here I am trying to peel off the little bits that stuck a little bit.
https://perfectpanicky.wordpress.com/
My story of growing up with parentification and living with anxiety as an adult.