"Children of the Self-Absorbed" by Nina W. Brown

Started by practicingacceptance, June 03, 2013, 08:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

practicingacceptance

Children of the Self-Absorbed: A Grown-Up's Guide to Getting over Narcissistic Parents
by Nina W. Brown

Recommend. Many good exercises for self-reflection, affirmations, and working through your narcissistic parental experience. Emphasis on self-development and growth, and taking control of your own behavior. A good one to keep and go back to again throughout recovery from childhood wounds.

jchick

I must say that I was very disappointed with Children of the Self Absorbed, which came as a surprise to me after all of the wonderful reviews I'd read.

However, I do note that there are two editions of this book, and from what I can gather only a small portion of the first edition was retained in the second "revised" edition.

I read the second edition.

It sounds like the material contained in the first edition was what I was hoping and expecting the book to be.

I wish the publisher had opted to continue publishing the first edition while giving a new title to what's now the second edition....it would be wonderful if we could benefit from both versions of the book. :Idunno:

JChick

bonnieG

I have the second edition of this book and I got it to help me understand my upbringing with an uNpd Mom and my penchant for getting involved with N men. (trying to soothe and placate them as I did my Nmom)

When I read it with a view to my intimate relationships I simply subbed in the word Partner for Parent as I read, and found it to be extremely helpful in both cases.

It contained tips for becoming and remaining aware and detached-while not giving your Self over like a lamb to the soul slaying wiles of ANY Npd.
(related or not)
Bonnie

Hysperger

A good portion of this book (second edition) is available (for free) on Google Books
https://books.google.nl/books?id=M4yStSxc0bYC&pg=PA195&hl=nl&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false

I found it in my quest when I was slowly coming Out of the FOG, and it was a major influence in pursuing that path. I finally identified with having had 'self-absorbed' parents. If only for the questionnaires presented in the book.

Freedove

This book made me realize i wasnt a narc  [thank heavens] . How can anyone be so self absorbed, a real eye opener. This book led me onto beyond co dependency . Definitely worth a read on how narcs tick