Regarding "long" posts

• 12 Replies

Grahamcracker

Regarding "long" posts
« on: September 21, 2015, 05:17:01 PM »
Just a suggestion here:  I see a lot of posts whose title includes the words "long" or "long post", and I wonder how many of those get read?   As a general rule, almost everything that gets written can be shortened a lot without losing meaning.  It's asking a lot of readers to sort through a really long and meandering post.  I'd also suggest that anyone who shortens a really long post would find some insights on his or her own, as well as more responses. 

Just a thought.  And I'll stop writing now.
"Wisdom's a gift, but you'd trade it for youth, Age is an honor but still not the truth"  Vampire Weekend.

SPinSC

• Make this life count - there is no 'reset' button!
Re: Regarding "long" posts
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 05:31:15 PM »
<-- Guilty of many long posts and you're right. I'll still probably post long ones anyway. I'm a wordy girl.
I choose this day to rise up and be my best self, not succumbing to that which I sense is inside me, trying to drag me down.

Love is an action verb. You will know if it is genuine by the actions that support it, not by the frequency of the spoken words.

Spring Butterfly

• Spring Butterfly
  • Administrator
  • Individuation = our key to emotional freedom
    • I Am Enough
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 05:35:12 PM »
There's a suggestion in the guideline under Posting Style Guide:
"We have no post size limit and it often feels cathartic to write down your life story. However, if your post fills more than an entire computer screen, some readers may be tempted to "speed read" or skip to the end."

There also this recommendation:
"Use paragraphs to break up text and break up text with a double return to create extra space between paragraphs. Don't post a huge block of text 20-50 lines long with no line breaks. Many  people find that very difficult to read and will ignore your post."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 05:39:36 PM by Spring Butterfly »
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage. Plan accordingly, make time to heal
Individuation is the key to emotional freedom
It's foolish to expect of others what they have no capacity to give
If others were self observant, introspective, this forum would not exist

LeeJane

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 05:47:58 PM »
I am in menopause and my brain has turned to candyfloss, when I see a long post it overwhelms me.  I simply cannot follow long posts at present. 

I do understand the need to vent out long and complicated feelings though so I know that long posts are useful and give a lot of relief.

But personally I can only read and respond to short, to the point posts.

No disrespect intended to anyone. 

Spring Butterfly

• Spring Butterfly
  • Administrator
    • I Am Enough
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 08:42:38 AM »
At Out of the FOG we do not operate from a sense of Fear Obligation or Guilt! A poster does not need to fear writing if they need to nor does the reader have to feel obligated to read if they cannot and neither party needs to feel guilty for personal choices.
:hug:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:44:47 AM by Spring Butterfly »
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage. Plan accordingly, make time to heal

Grahamcracker

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 11:25:35 AM »
Point taken and I apologize to anyone who took it as criticism.

I wasn't complaining or urging, just pointing some things out.  I don't mean to tell people they shouldn't write long messages, just suggesting that it is usually helpful to read things over and maybe condense things. Presuming, I guess, that they want more responses.

I know venting is valuable.  And I know we are all free to read or not read.

I was just saying.
"Wisdom's a gift, but you'd trade it for youth, Age is an honor but still not the truth"  Vampire Weekend.

IDK

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 07:33:07 PM »
Women like detail and they give detail when discussing something.  Men are short and to the point when they are discussing  something.  Neither way is wrong.  It's all good. 

Grahamcracker

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 07:49:24 PM »
I know of women who write very succinctly and men who are verbose. 

Spring Butterfly

• Spring Butterfly
  • Administrator
    • I Am Enough
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 08:23:45 PM »
I don't mean to tell people they shouldn't write long messages, just suggesting that it is usually helpful to read things over and maybe condense things. Presuming, I guess, that they want more responses.

I know venting is valuable.  And I know we are all free to read or not read.
Yup that's pretty much what the guidelines say and I didn't take it as all as complaining.

IDK

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 11:32:42 PM »
I know of women who write very succinctly and men who are verbose. 

Me too.  And it's all ok.  Doesn't make it wrong either way.   I didn't take it as complaining either, btw.

SPinSC

• Make this life count - there is no 'reset' button!
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 01:24:34 PM »
 :bighug:  Poor Graham.... a tempest in a tea cup, friend!

<finally makes amazingly short post! Give me time. The long ones are still inside me. LOL
I choose this day to rise up and be my best self, not succumbing to that which I sense is inside me, trying to drag me down.

Love is an action verb. You will know if it is genuine by the actions that support it, not by the frequency of the spoken words.

Grahamcracker

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 01:41:07 PM »
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.  Mark Twain.

Spin, this sort of tempest is an island of sanity for me.  I don't mind at all.

And don't get me started about my feelings regarding emoticons.

Bloomie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 07:54:19 PM »
Just throwing my .02 in to say that for me, who has spent years invisible and unheard, it is a learning curve to learn to share succinctly. I'm thankful we can support each other either way.
"You can understand and have compassion for someone and still not want a relationship with them."
Amanda E. White, LPC @therapyforwomen

Bloomie 🌸