Hug button?

• 3 Replies

Epic

Hug button?
« on: September 24, 2015, 05:03:31 PM »
So often I read someone's comments and wish I could somehow show support or let the writer know I've read their comment/story, but I can't possibly do that for every post I want to. I wish there was some way to acknowledge each other without necessarily making a comment. I'd like to personally thank everyone who's offered me support and some posters do that, but it's time consuming.  It would be nice to have a "hug" button, kind of like the facebook equivalent of the "like" button;)

Empty Shell

• Well we all need, someone, we can lean on...
Re: Hug button?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 05:32:44 PM »
How about just using what's already available:
 :bighug:

(Hit reply, hit the "more" button under the emoticons, hit the big hug.)
You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you might find, you get what you need...

Epic

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 06:42:45 PM »
True but you have to post that as a separate comment and it just posts at the end of the comments, nobody knows who you're hugging;)

kayjewel

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 07:43:06 PM »
My immediate reaction to this is: just as some of us might not want people coming up "in real life" and randomly hugging us without our consent, we might not want that kind of interaction on a message board either.

People here have been through a lot, our boundaries violated, and our needs and feelings discounted. Many of us are easily triggered by all sorts of things. I know that we already have a "huggie" emoticon, but as Epicabundance said, you have to take the time to post it in a separate comment. If there were a "hug" button, it would be a lot more easy to do, and thus probably done a lot more frequently than the emoticon. I hate to sound like a Scrooge here, but as I considered this suggestion, I thought of people giving me unsolicited hugs to which I could not say "no", and I flinched.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:45:38 PM by kayjewel »
There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.
-- C. G. Jung