“Shadow Daughter: A Memoir of Estrangement” Harriet Brown

Started by Seven, September 29, 2019, 08:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seven

So this morning  Sis1 shared an article regarding a good death on FB.  Now Sis1 doesn't FB very often, so curious as to her mind, I read the article.  Sis1 is a cancer survivor, is having sleep issues (diagnosed, but I forget the name of what she has) in which studies say can lead to Parkinson's.  So needless to say my sister has been taking a proactive approach to her health, and is not in denial that we all will die someday, unlike our mother.

Anyway, I read the article and at the end there was a link to the authors latest publication, as shown in the title of this post.  The link brought me to the free sample page on Amazon (basically the introduction of the book).

It started off "I was hiking in Hawaii the day my mother was buried".

Anyway, I have yet to read the whole book,  I'll probably buy it just because the intro was very captivating.  I don't get captivated very easily.

Thought that those going through the same thing, those who question about whether to go to funerals, those of us with aging narc parents would like to know this is out there.  Since there a few free pages, check it out and see if it's for you

moglow

Intrigued, both by the title and that opening line. Probably plenty of food for thought for this starving heart today. Thx for sharing!
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

Whitesheep45

Sounds like a good read
It is more focused on the daughter's journey toward self-definition, something that has to happen whether there is a disorder in a parent or not'

I love being on the journey of self definition