My wedding and dealing with PD sister and parents

• 23 Replies

SunnyandBright

Re: My wedding and dealing with PD sister and parents
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 03:26:40 PM »
You are doing the right thing.  Don't give in on this, or you'll only be teaching them that by pushing you further and manipulating you enough -- they will get their way. 
They are choosing a huge time in your life to be taught this lesson, but ultimately it's going to be their loss.   I honestly think not having there will be so much better for you.  But then again, I don't really believe they actually mean to miss it - so I'm sure they aren't finished with you.   

If they do miss it --- don't ever look back.  For any reason.  There are already too many hard things in life to deal with.   Family should make life easier and happier.  If that isn't the case -- if they just make it sadder, more frustrating, and harder --- who needs it?   You've done everything possible and reasonable.  No need for guilt.  Banish the guilt.  It's going to be YOUR day.  One of the only times it should be all about you.  (and your fiancé, of course)  Don't let them steal something from you that you'll never get back. 

almostthere

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 04:46:45 PM »
As another option, you mentioned eloping as a possibility in your post.  You can cancel and go that route.  If invites are out, you can always send regrets that the wedding is canceled due to unfortunate circumstances or something of that nature.  Or you can postpone and just have people there who are supportive of you.  Nothing says you *must* invite people who run roughshod over you.

closure_with_clarity

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2016, 09:07:24 PM »
wecalalwaysdream. How did your big day go? Been thinking of you and hope everything went off w/ out incident

:bighug:
Let go of the people that dull your shine. Poison your spirit. And bring you drama. Cancel your subscription to their issues.  :)

NewFreedom

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 03:47:14 PM »
Oh my goodness. I am so sorry to hear that you have to deal with all of that drama while planning your wedding. I can't give you advice, but I can say that I see a great deal of strength in you, and you've already taken so many good steps forward by setting boundaries and recognizing the abuse.

You're on the right track. Congratulations and I wish you all the best!