25 yr old daughter with BPD and bipolar disorder

• 3 Replies

Dicky

25 yr old daughter with BPD and bipolar disorder
« on: June 13, 2016, 01:30:42 AM »
So today we had a visit from the local police department which was acting on a complaint thru DCFS filed by my recently hospitalized daughter. She had recently moved and decided to look for a new therapist closer to where she was living and in that process revisited her contentions of abuse (emotional) by her father and her concerns that he was now inflicting the same abuse on her cousin who has been living with us for the last year since his mom (my sister) died from breast cancer. I was floored. She had been in therapy, on medication since she was 15, has been hospitalized 10 times for suicidal ideation and intent, left home at 18 in a flurry of accusations against her father, which were investigated by the police and which she subsequently recanted and here we are again. I am broken hearted and broken in spirit. She had been doing so well but we are right back to where it all began and I don't really know how to move on. We were in therapy as a family for 5 years and thought we had worked thru our "stuff". But I guess not.

Bloomie

• Administrator
Re: 25 yr old daughter with BPD and bipolar disorder
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 12:16:21 PM »
Dicky - What a painful shock for you and your H to have this visit from DCFS. It sounds like your family has been through so much. I am glad you have joined us here and hope you find this community to be a good source of support and connection.

We have resources above at the tabs that offer insights, strategies, and tools along with book recommendations and links to other helpful info and sites. Make full use of all that is there all in one place just for you.

The great benefit in sharing and spending time here is this is a community that is for your benefit as you face this stormy sea and are surrounded by needs of others. Spending time here, sharing your experiences, asking questions on the boards is a way to gain life enriching encouragement and validation from others who are in similarly difficult circumstances and who do understand in ways others may not.

Sharing on our Parents discussion board may be invaluable for you at this time. That you are broken by this is completely understandable. Such difficult times! I am so sorry.

There are a few things that came to mind as I was reading your intro and one of them you may have heard before, but it is always good to be reminded - the 51% Rule which says: "The 51% Rule says that we need to consider our own needs just a little more than those of others in order to be able to help them effectively." (more on this can be found by clicking on the underlined blue text)

Take your time and settle in here. When you are ready, I hope you will begin sharing on the boards, and other members will weigh in an support you! We welcome your participation!
"You can understand and have compassion for someone and still not want a relationship with them."
Amanda E. White, LPC @therapyforwomen

Bloomie 🌸

Frazzled

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 02:00:24 PM »
I myself keep hoping that my uBPD ex-"friend" gets therapy and recovers in a few years, but reading stories like this show me that it may not be possible, or that he is lying about getting therapy and eventually ends up back at square one.

momnthefog

• Host Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 08:20:14 PM »
Dicky,

Welcome to OOTF.

I'm sorry for the family trauma and dx that brought you here.

I hope you will join us on the Parents Discussion, there are several who have dealt with similar accusations.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Until then,

:bighug:

Momnthefog
"She made broken look beautiful and strong look invincible.  She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like a pair of wings."