Children in dysfunctional families

• 3 Replies

Reda

Children in dysfunctional families
« on: June 17, 2016, 05:32:57 PM »
When you see kids being raised in dysfunctional families, and it's clearly taking a toll on them, and you actually see signs that they are reaching out for help ... what do you do?

Long story short ... out of state family wedding over the weekend, spent a fair amount of time with my sister and her husband/kids, saw the exact same bullying and dysfunction that I saw 4 years ago when we vacationed with them ... but this time my 15 year old nephew came up to me and said "my family is a train wreck and I'm embarrassed by them".

We live a plane ride away from them.

What would you do?
Don't feed the Narcissist

lavalove

Re: Children in dysfunctional families
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 05:44:21 PM »
I always knew something was not normal with my family.  When I was 14, I said something similar to an adult who I had regular interaction with and was not a family member.  She listened and validated what I was feeling and observing in my family.  She also stood up for me when she had a conflict with my parents.  It made a huge difference in my ability to not continue the cycle and create healthy boundaries with my family.  She and I still are close friends decades later.  It sounds like your nephew needs to feel heard and supported.  Can he skype with you or call by phone?   

Reda

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 05:56:38 PM »
thank you lavalove for sharing that.  it's helpful to me.
Don't feed the Narcissist

BullyBuster

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 10:51:55 AM »
Support him as much as you can, it is so much worse when you feel completely alone.