Can I ask legal questions or ask for basic advice?

• 1 Replies

StarLife

Can I ask legal questions or ask for basic advice?
« on: August 19, 2016, 09:08:41 PM »
Hello,

I'm new here and I did read the guidelines for posting. There was some language in there that has left me uncertain as to whether I can ask for general legal advice. My questions are very basic but I will need to make a long post as backstory and I don't want to create that if I am going to be told I can't ask. I read that there may be some legal and mental health professionals so I just wanted to see if they can help.

Thank you.

xredshoesx

• Administrator
Re: Can I ask legal questions or ask for basic advice?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 11:43:17 PM »
members can not offer prescriptive legal or medical advice.  members are allowed to speak from the perspective of what happened to them and can only speak to what they did/ didn't do in their own situation. 

Mental health professionals, Legal Professionals, Authors & Journalists:

Mental health and legal professionals are welcome to join this forum.  However, for ethical and legal considerations, mental health and legal professionals must not share any information or stories derived from confidential client or therapy sessions on OOTF.  Anyone identifying themselves as a mental health or legal professional must refrain from offering any direct diagnostic or prescriptive advice to other members. This includes staff members such as nurses, paralegals, administrators and assistants, who may appear to some of our members as though they speak with special knowledge. Therefore, do not use statements such as "I have a degree in psychology", "I am a social worker", "I am a psych nurse", "I am a lawyer's receptionist" or "I am a therapist's spouse" etc.