Do you remember any recurring childhood nightmares?

• 29 Replies

Tamzen

Re: Do you remember any recurring childhood nightmares?
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 10:27:19 PM »
This is a great topic & really interesting reading people's replies. When I was a kid and into my 20s, I had nightmares that I was drowning -- but specifically that I was at a beach where my family spent summers for many years (and near where my BPD mother grew up) and a tsunami would come out of the ocean and swamp me, often dragging me back into the ocean. I'd be struggling not to drown, trying to cling to anything I could, and wake up terrified.

In my 20s I started having dreams about my dog, but not the neglect dreams others have described here. I'd dream she was in danger and I had to protect her. I caught on after a decade or so that these happened when I felt that I needed protection and wasn't protecting myself. In a recent version of the dream it was my cat and he was badly hurt, the dream was mostly about how to wrap him in a towel to get him to the vet.

These two converged in the last two years in a dream where I was in the house by the beach and a huge storm came up, the water was rising, and I had to get both my dog and my mother out of the house to safety. I did -- which I took to mean the therapy is working.

carmen.

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 06:55:05 PM »
anything I remember from my childhood is a nightmare

HelenP

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 04:31:36 AM »
Exhausted and relieved, I would run to uBPmom. When she turned to face me, I would see that mom was the witch. Then I would wake up out of breath and hysterical.

I had a very similar recurring nightmare except that when my mother would turn, it was the devil.

lifeline

• IG
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »
I had a couple of recurring dreams as a child.

One was that I was kidnapped, but had escaped and was being chased by my assailants, I found a vehicle and was struggling to drive it.  I always made it back to my house, but the run from the vehicle to my house was impossible, my legs would stop functioning, and feel heavy, immovable.  I could never make it to the safety of my own home.  My parents never appeared in this dream.  I assume I felt like I was alone in my journey.

The other one was about my Dad, and it was short but so disturbing.  It was simply I would dream he was sitting at the foot of my bed while I slept just staring at me.  Creepily.  Just sitting there staring.  I would wake up feeling panicked.  This was recurring during adolescence. 

I don't recall dreams anymore, too much stress I guess.  Aside from during pregnancies, its been ten-fifteen years since I've recalled dreams.
"Only I can change my life.  No one can do it for me."
-Carol Burnette

Tootsie Roll

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2017, 12:48:09 AM »
A previous response talked about a cliff.  Mine were bridges.  I'd be in a school bus, or on a motorcycle, or in a car - basically any moving vehicle.  We'd be driving along and there was a curve on the bridge, of course, the vehicle didn't curve but went straight down.  Usually I would wake up screaming before it hit, but one time the ground changed into water and I went swimming instead. 

I experienced a lot of night terrors too.  And, it was not uncommon for me to scream in my sleep, although I would frequently sleep through it.  'Course, and I would move with my dreams in my sleep - like holding up the ceiling because it was falling - I'd actually be sitting up in bed with my arms above my head, "holding up the ceiling" in my dream.  I've had some major bad ones like that. 

This is a great thread!
To let go is not to enable, but to allow learning from natural consequences.  To let go is not to be in the middle arranging all the outcomes, but to allow others to affect their own future.  To let go is not to be protective, it is to permit another to face reality.

marizabet

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2017, 01:00:21 AM »
Falling, often from stairs

Rubytown

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2017, 03:13:45 AM »
Wow - great thread topic!

This has been so helpful for me seeing how my dreams are the same as others here.  I understood why I had nightmares about my uBPD mother but still felt kind of weird or "crazy" because of them.  It seems odd to have nightmares about your own mother. 

But I have had many where someone evil is chasing me and it turns out to be my mom or she turns and becomes the devil. 

I have also had the ones where I started fighting back and some where I killed the attacker.  After a few of those, I stopped having nightmares.  It was after years of therapy so must be a good sign that I have dealt with things.

Also, I recently have had the neglected pet dreams and have been disturbed by them.  This interpretation is very helpful that it symbolizes me not taking care of myself.  Very accurate in my current situation and a wake up call (pardon the pun - ha ha) for me to work on self care.

Thanks so much friends!
Ruby
Ellis Boy 'Red' Redding: "Hope is a dangerous thing my friend, it can kill a man..."
Andy Dufresne: [in letter to Red] "Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."
-The Shawshank Redemption

LenKagamine

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2017, 03:50:37 AM »
I remember one reoccurring dream I had when I was five or six.  It was me and my biological father.  We were always in a bar, and he was always ignoring me, always drinking with other soldiers who were always faceless to me.  This dream always ended with one of the soldiers dragging me off, telling me that it was time for me to die, and my father just sitting there, casually accepting my fate as if it meant nothing to him.

That dream was extremely disturbing to me.  My biological father always did keep his distance from me.  I think he felt guilty because his genetics included a couple of other people with autism, and then here I was, born with an affliction nobody knew how to deal with.

Shockwave

• Begins, Falls, Rises: The Origins of a Hero
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2017, 01:05:24 PM »
Had one of my recurring ones just now. This one brig from my teenage years: back in high school,  the worst years of my life once again.   On those cursed grounds,  being teased and shunned once again,  and then getting home and chores and back to the invisible child until there was more work to be done.  Yes but this one has a bunch of my ex - classmates as adult felons (there was a lot of crime growing up) playing football in a grassy knoll.  Just kept walking because they already told me to go away.  Yep,  those lovely times. 
"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight."
-- James Gordon, The Dark Knight

Pokertoast

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 04:56:53 PM »
Not really childhood nightmares, more like teenage ones... But I used to have lots of dreams where my parents would try to kill me and/or each other. Also, ones where I would have my children taken away from me and killed horribly, or there would be something wrong with them. I still remember finding the remains of my "son" in a box on the doorstep of my old house when we had been playing in the snow minutes before. Before that in a different dream, my "daughter" was shoved in a safe. I guess those stuck more to me for some reason.
I'm on the front line, dont worry I'll be fine. The story is just beginning. I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regret, and now I see the world through diamond eyes.