Turning off the 'Show Posts' on my profile

• 8 Replies

Wesen

• Out of the FOG
Turning off the 'Show Posts' on my profile
« on: March 26, 2016, 03:16:16 PM »
Is there any way to hide the 'Show Posts' function from my profile?  Hiding it, would help tremendously in hiding my identity and make me feel more secure.  If this function could be turned off or hidden, it would be so much harder for anyone to piece things together, they'd have to search through loads of threads to find relevant posts pertaining to me. It would make me feel much safer commenting.

Does anyone else feel this way?  Is there a way of turning it off?

I know we're meant to be careful what we say, but it's hard to comment and be involved with group threads without sharing some part of our own experiences.  I haven't given out any specific details like names, places, dates etc, but I still feel it makes the job of someone trying to find me a lot easier.  If they can click on members names and read exactly what they've been posting, they might be able to make the connection.

Thank you

xredshoesx

• Administrator
Re: Turning off the 'Show Posts' on my profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 05:37:08 PM »
the only way the show posts feature is disabled is if a member closes their account.

closing the account does not delete all a member's posts, it just makes it harder to find them.

this is from the guidelines about confidentiality:

Confidentiality:

Confidentiality is important to the safety of everybody on our board.  It is strongly recommended that members not directly or indirectly disclose their own identity.  Itís not uncommon for members to discover that the person with a personality disorder in their life has been reading at this site. 

You are also discouraged from registering with a user name, email address or avatar that could be recognized.  Sites such as Yahoo and Google offer free anonymous email hosting.   You are strongly encouraged not to register using any email address that other people may have access to as the board will occasionally send information about your account to that address.

Please donít post any information that directly or indirectly discloses the identity of family members, friends or relationship partners.  This includes (but is not limited to) direct information such as real names, photographs, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, etc., as well as, indirect information such as pet names, local venues, etc.

If you should accidentally post information which compromises the confidentiality of yourself or someone close to you, you may contact a moderator or administrator designating the specific confidential information to be removed.  One administrative edit, of up to a maximum of 3 posts, will be given to each member.  After the first request, subsequent requests to edit posts by the same member will be denied.

Do not copy the contents of any personal or legal communications, documents, written correspondence, email, social media posts, personal messages, texts and telephone conversations verbatim into posts.

Members having off-board information about another member shall not disclose it. 

Do not solicit personal contact information from other members on the boards or in PM, as this is considered a violation of privacy.  If someone volunteers their information in a personal context, it is their right to do so, but you are under no obligation to reciprocate.   Please respect the privacy of others as you wish your own privacy to be respected.   If someone solicits personal contact information from you and the solicitation makes you uncomfortable in any way, you are encouraged to report the incident to any Moderator or Administrator.

Any information posted which reveals identifying information about another individual will be modified or removed by the moderators.

Wesen

• Out of the FOG
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 05:55:39 PM »
Thank you for the reply. 

I've not given out any specific details, but worry that being able to easily see all the posts I've ever made, makes it easier to be found.  When we're discussing events that have happened to us, the person we least want reading our words may be able to work out it's about them, if they have lots of pieces of information all easily packaged under one profile.  Hence me wanting to turn off the 'Show Posts' function on my profile. 

The other thing I wanted to ask about is, at the bottom of the forum it shows who is online and what thread they're looking at.  What purpose does this serve?  it even shows when someone is writing a private message. 

xredshoesx

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 06:45:13 PM »
it's part of the software platform that we use to run the forum.

Wesen

• Out of the FOG
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 06:55:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated, xredshoesx

I'm guessing you're the Admin online at the moment?  Could you help me with another problem I'm having.    I've sent a number of private messages to Admin asking for a particular thread to be removed.  It was the first ever thread I asked to be removed and I've been reassured twice already tonight that it's been removed, but it hasn't.   

This is the thread that needs deleting:  http://www.outofthefog.net/forum/index.php?topic=52426.msg467369#msg467369

I was sent to some spurious link that was meant to assure me it had been deleted, but it hadn't.  This was the hyperlink I was given:

http://www.outofthefog.net/forum/index.php?topic=52697.msg467369#msg467369

Hope you can help xredshoesx

Many thanks xx

eclipse

• Out of the FOG Website
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 11:41:19 PM »

I think your issue is now resolved. You had posted twice to the same thread and when you requested a deletion I deleted your second post to the thread, without realizing that you were also the original poster at the top of the thread. Your original post (and thread) should now be removed.

gary

• http://www.gawalters.com
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 01:27:36 AM »

The other thing I wanted to ask about is, at the bottom of the forum it shows who is online and what thread they're looking at.  What purpose does this serve?  it even shows when someone is writing a private message.

Hi To Be Continued

You will probably find that helpful when you have done a post that is important to you and you just want to see if anyone if reading it or in the process of replying to it. Like you may see someone replying to it and you will know to just wait a couple minutes to see what they said.

" A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking, because its trust is not on the branch but on its own wings.

Believe in yourself ".

Josh S hipp

www.gawalters.com
http://gawalters.com/blog/

Wesen

• Out of the FOG
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 09:06:23 AM »
Eclipse,

Thank you so much.  The thread appears to have been deleted now.

I was really getting stressed about it.  Your help is much appreciated xx

Wesen

• Out of the FOG
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 09:17:15 AM »
Hiya Gary,

I can see how that would be beneficial.  I guess with me being hypervigilant, it adds to the stress for me...another thing to keep watching. haha

Thank you for replying :-)