What are you reading in the Bible these days.

• 10 Replies

1footouttadefog

What are you reading in the Bible these days.
« on: October 19, 2016, 06:06:51 PM »
I thought it would be interesting to share what we are reading in the Bible these days and any OOTF related insights you have in that process.

I have been reading the old T. From Genisis and am in the last part of numbers at this time. 

One thing that stands out is how the Israelites are to keep separate from those who don't worship God, and not to stray from His teachings into those of other nations or gods.

I relate this to OOTF this way.  I don't have to allow sinful and negative stuff in my life for the sake of marriage or friendships etc.  I can refuse to compromise my morals and integrity and the consequences are the PDs not mine.  And I am okay with that. 

I hope that makes since.  My home is a micro nation, in this regard.  I don't have to accept lies, gaslighting , false accusation and such in the name of peace. 

Things are actually peaceful at this time. But boundaries are tested here and their.  I am justified in holding strong. 

I am attending a weekly study, and we are studying 2Tim.  It's overall a great reminder of keeping the faith and holding strong.  I highly recommend a read through for anyone wanting a consice reminder of what to do to hang in there.

AmericanWoman

Re: What are you reading in the Bible these days.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 06:16:54 PM »
Lately my husband and I have been learning more and more in the book of Daniel and end times.  I also enjoy Romans 8 a lot.

Good thread, thanks  :)

Associate of Daniel

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 07:22:50 PM »
John 15: 18-25.

If we're being persecuted for our faith it's because they hated God first.

A comfort ti me  but also very sad since my u/npd exH professed to be a christian.

Reading through that passage with my ds9 the other night was very difficult.

AOD

1footouttadefog

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 10:53:07 PM »
"Why do you call me Lord Lord, and do not the things I command you?"

That comes to mind when a cruel person references faith to abuse folks.

Re Daniel and End Times, I have never spent much time in prophecy.

I am currently reading my way through the Bible.  I am using a Chronological Life Application Study Bible.  I really like the way it is printed.  It has a really nice faux leather cover, and I got a deal on it from eBay.

In will likely get bogged down in prophecy.  I have never spent alot of time in them.  We did a nice study on the "Minor Prophets" about a year ago however.  There will be more of a learning curve with the Major ones however.

all4peace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 11:02:33 PM »
I find the Psalms very comforting. David was such a human man, loving and loved by God, so imperfect and yet so able to forgive, to beg forgiveness, to love, and deal with his enemies. I appreciate the range of his emotions, strengths and weaknesses.

tommom

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 07:26:37 PM »
Oh, yes, the Psalms are lovely! Right now I am doing my own-invented study on the names of God. I know there are books on the subject, and will no doubt get there, but I am so enjoying learning the names and what they mean! I love one website called "Hebrew for Christians." (actually it is www.hebrew4christians.com) Just fantastic.

And in the last two weeks I veered off because I had to do a Sunday School class on the Tabernacle in the Wilderness and build a model of it (or what everyone surmises it looked like) for the kids. Massive fun and so, so interesting. I was amazed at how fascinated the kids were with it, too.
"It is not my job to fix other people; everyone is on their own journey."

sparrow

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 09:38:03 PM »
I like Ecclesiastes.

irkmandu

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 10:23:25 PM »
I really like Romans 14. Particularly verse 19. It's all about not being judgemental.
“Rings and other jewels are not gifts, but apologies for gifts. The only gift is a portion of thyself.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

1footouttadefog

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 03:17:41 PM »
I am not as far along in my read through the bible progress as I would have thought.

I am okay with that because its not do to neglect.  I have has side tracts in my reading.  also the study notes in many ofy study bibles are being incorporated into this project so I am learning alot along the way.

I did recently take a hike through part of proverbs.  I always enjoy the proverbs.  I like the concise nature of them. 

SonofaGunn

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 01:43:01 PM »
I find the Psalms very comforting. David was such a human man, loving and loved by God, so imperfect and yet so able to forgive, to beg forgiveness, to love, and deal with his enemies. I appreciate the range of his emotions, strengths and weaknesses.

This and the book of John. The latter is heavy if you really take the time to read it for what it is saying.

I too love the Psalms because it helps me with how to cry out to Jesus for help and wisdom on dealing with people in general....especially my ubpdw and to realize that as tough as it is being married to my wife......eternity is so much more bigger and worth the trials here on earth.

Adria

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 04:37:37 PM »
I'm reading the Psalms as well.  It gives me so much peace through all the craziness.