Interesting site insight to share...

• 13 Replies

Teddy

Interesting site insight to share...
« on: December 03, 2016, 03:01:39 PM »
Hello, I've noticed so many great posts with great replies however oddly enough the ratio of views vs replies is huge.. I find that very curiously well.. I understand it I'm very very outspoken usually but I'm just wondering why some don't open themselves up to reply and share-- their perogative if I'm out of bounds plz let me know .. Just I noticed other day and I'm perplexed you must be logged in to read these posts or a member correct ? Thx !! One of my dearest friends says "We share because we Care"... He's not PD well maybe he is.. Anyway this seems well I'm trying to figure out why some receive so many clicks w no replies are they just not feeling it?? I'm thinking that may be reason -- thanks hope I'm not breaking rules here ??

practical

Re: Interesting site insight to share...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 04:21:02 PM »
First of all this is a message board and not twitter or FB, so it works differently. People come here in their limited spare time to find help or help others, so they allocate their time according to their own needs. Many members learn by reading and don't necessarily feel the need to add a response. Or upon opening a post (= counted as a view) discover it doesn't resonate with them or it might even trigger them, or they don't really have anything to say that would be meaningful to the poster so they move on. Other times people find another member has already expressed their sentiment, so there is no need to respond, or they don't have the time to respond in a thoughtful, meaningful way to the original poster like they would want to and might therefore prefer not to respond at all, but are happy they read it. Responding can often take a lot of time as you are trying to keep the original posters story in mind and focus on her or him, and help them by validating their experience or sharing some of yours in the hope it will help them. I often only read and only if I think I can truly add to the thread do I post and often it takes me a long time to write out a response, as I'm trying as much as I can to walk with the other person.

I hope this clarifies your questions.
If Im not towards myself, who is towards myself? And when Im only towards myself, what am I? And if not now, when? (Rabbi Hillel)

"I can forgive, but I cannot afford to forget." (Moglow)

LeeJane

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 04:24:01 PM »
I read most of the posts made but only write a reply if I feel I have some experience on the particular issue to share or something worthwhile to add.

My guess would be most people are similar.

xredshoesx

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 04:57:24 PM »
this discussion has been moved to board questions and information-

i agree with practical- sometimes it hurts too much to respond, or it reminds us of things we are not ourselves ready to deal with.

Teddy

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 06:11:04 PM »
K thanks wasn't trying to be judgmental just an observation-- thx

snoflinga

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 06:14:01 PM »
I have managed online communities for more than 25 years, and this board is actually more responsive than most.

A general rule of thumb is that in any online forum, 90% of interactions will be views, 9% are replies, and 1% are new posts.

The previously stated cultural issues specific to this board also apply: these are extremely personal and emotional topics, not to mention people have to work hard here to maintain their anonymity.

eclipse

• Out of the FOG Website
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 09:35:45 PM »
A general rule of thumb is that in any online forum, 90% of interactions will be views, 9% are replies, and 1% are new posts.

That's pretty close to what it has been here at OOTF for 9 years

Spirit Girl

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 10:32:05 PM »
It's a really good question. I had the same thought when I first joined. Also I was fearful that no one would reply!

Spring Butterfly

• Spring Butterfly
  • Administrator
  • You can be free and heal ❤️‍🩹
    • One Key to Better Boundaries
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 09:37:16 AM »
In addition to what the others have said another viewpoint is to consider a 'view' as someone who was interested enough in you or your post subject to open it and read your thoughts and feelings. Sometimes the most we can offer in support some days isn't a listening ear and consider those views your listening ears.
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage-plan accordingly, make time to heal
Individuation is one key to emotional freedom
It's foolish to expect of others what they have no capacity to give
my Empowered Growth blog

VividImagination

• Fear is not real; it is a product of the thoughts you create. Danger is very real, but fear is a choice. - After Earth
  • Vivid the Blunt
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 10:51:48 PM »
you must be logged in to read these posts or a member correct ?

No. This is a public forum. Anyone can read posts here without being registered or a member. That is one of the reasons our "view" count is so high.

This is also the reason we HIGHLY stress confidentiality, not posting personal information, and being careful what email address you register with, as members here can be searched by email address if you have not selected the "hide my email" option.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:29:22 PM by VividImagination »
There are three solutions to every problem: accept it, change it, or leave it. If you cannot accept it, change it. I f you cannot change it, leave it.

Sometimes you're damned if you don't and damned if you do, so damn well do what's best for you.

Fightsong

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 02:07:09 PM »
vividimagination, can  ANYONE look up my email address??  :-[ How come?

VividImagination

• Fear is not real; it is a product of the thoughts you create. Danger is very real, but fear is a choice. - After Earth
  • Vivid the Blunt
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 07:36:05 PM »
Fightsong, I actually misspoke. If you have not selected the "hide my email" option, then your email address is searchable. For instance, I can put my husband's email address into the search members option to see if he is a member, and if he is, his member name will be displayed.

More information is upcoming on how to control that feature.
There are three solutions to every problem: accept it, change it, or leave it. If you cannot accept it, change it. I f you cannot change it, leave it.

Sometimes you're damned if you don't and damned if you do, so damn well do what's best for you.

moglow

• Administrator
  • >^..^<
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 10:01:20 PM »
Fight Song,

Email addresses are hidden and unsearchable by other members if you have unchecked the "Allow others to email me" section under Account Settings.  From our Frequently Asked Questions:

Our forum is set up where members and guests can not see other member's email addresses.

However, there is an option at registration to allow other registered members to send you an email. If you check this box, a little  icon appears under your profile and you may receive emails from other registered members. They will not see your email address unless you reply directly to them. The board forwards the message to your email address on their behalf.

To disable the email option, click on the "PROFILE" tab at the top of the page, then click "Account Settings" then uncheck the box next to "Allow users to email me"

Understand that you and the administrators/moderators WILL still be able to see your email address even though you have unchecked this box. However, rest assured that it is hidden from other members and guests. This is a frequent question members ask and we have checked many times.

Please also note that if you elect to use the board to send an email to others who have checked the box, your email address will be revealed to them in the reply field of any email sent.

Hope this answers your question!
"Expectations are disappointments under construction.  ~ Cap'n Spanky

Stop Stinkin' Thinkin'!

Fightsong

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 07:58:37 AM »
Cheers, then I'm all good. Exhaaaaaale .