Is this a form of Munchhausen By Proxy?

• 4 Replies

Dinah-sore

Is this a form of Munchhausen By Proxy?
« on: May 23, 2018, 02:45:20 AM »
I posted about the trauma that BPDm is putting my dad through in another post today, but I had a quick question. It is a tangent.

My mom told my dad that she is going to buy a blood sugar meter from the drug store, for the sole purpose of checking his blood sugar during the day. My dad is NOT diabetic. He has never been told by a doctor to check his blood sugar. He is in good health.

To me this seems like a violation. At best, it is intrusive and controlling. At worst, I wonder if it isn't a form of Munchhausen by proxy. I know he isn't a kid. So in a way it feels even worse. He is a grown man, having to have his wife prick his finger, draw his blood, and test him throughout the day for a disease he DOESN'T HAVE.

Is this just really strange?
"I had to accept the fact that, look, this is who I am. I have to be who I am, and all of us have a right to be who we are. And whenever we submit our will, because our will is a gift, our will is given to us, whenever we submit our will to someone else's opinion a part of us dies." --Lauryn Hill

Fiasco

Re: Is this a form of Munchhausen By Proxy?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 02:46:50 AM »
That's horrifying. What does your dad say about this plan?

all4peace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 02:49:15 AM »
Do you think there's even a vague chance that your dad will start standing up for himself and fighting back? Even if only by resistance?

Dinah-sore

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 02:57:24 AM »
That's horrifying. What does your dad say about this plan?

When he told me about it, he was laughing, but not that it was funny, that it was insane. He thinks she wants to use it so she can further control his food intake.

Do you think there's even a vague chance that your dad will start standing up for himself and fighting back? Even if only by resistance?

I think he has it in him to resist, only because he is seeing that she is getting worse and he is loosing everything.

Their pastor called and asked him to come to see him this weekend. My mom told my dad he was "in trouble" with the pastor, she told him what she assumed he did wrong (she said he was in trouble for being a blabbermouth), and made him go apologize. He went, he apologized for being a blabbermouth, the pastor looked at him like he was crazy, and told him that he did nothing wrong, that it was just an information meeting. My dad came home and told my mom that it was just a meeting, but he apologized, and the pastor told him he did nothing wrong. She said, "I know you are telling yourself that you didn't do anything wrong, but you need to tell me that I am right, and that you learned a lesson."

So he sat in his chair and said, "I learned my lesson. I will not be a blabbermouth anymore." he said he just said it, to get her off his back. But it was all based on a lie, that she thought he was in trouble, because she thinks he is a blabbermouth.

He did not resist that, this was just a few days ago.

He is scared, of her getting worse. And of her completely ruining his life and future.
"I had to accept the fact that, look, this is who I am. I have to be who I am, and all of us have a right to be who we are. And whenever we submit our will, because our will is a gift, our will is given to us, whenever we submit our will to someone else's opinion a part of us dies." --Lauryn Hill

LSK1999

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 08:51:37 AM »
Munchhausen by Proxy is when the caretaker intentionally does things to make the child sick, in order for the parent to gain attention for themselves. It is probably the most heinous form of abuse that there is and children have died at the hands of parents giving them toxic amounts of substances in order to make them sick. So no...unless mom is feeding him barrels of sugar to induce diabetes I don't think it's a form of this. What it is however, is super controlling and a way to totally violate his boundaries, and I agree with you pretty odd behavior. Poor guy  :stars: Oh the things that we have to deal with, we couldn't make this stuff up...good luck to you...best wishes for your dad too. :)