High Functioning PD shown on BBC Drama

• 2 Replies

Albie

High Functioning PD shown on BBC Drama
« on: February 07, 2017, 09:30:22 AM »
Hi there!

I recently watched a crime drama on BBC1 last night called Apple Tree Yard from a book written by Louise Doughty. The story ends with a very dramatic court scene were one of the main characters, accused of murder, claims diminished responsibility on the grounds of a PD. His barrister then calls an expert psychiatrist who claims to have diagnosed him with High Functioning PD. However, the prosecution barrister then calls her own expert psychiatrist who is dismissive of the diagnosis claiming there is no such thing as High Functioning PD quoting DSM criteria etc. which then appears to be accepted by the court.

My question is, that on reading more about High Functioning PD, via Google and on this excellent website, I see a lot of similarities  in myself, although I have actually already been diagnosed with OCPD and I was curious to know exactly how recognised this diagnosis is?

I appreciate this was from a work of fiction, but the psychiatrist for the defence, proposing the HFPD was so destroyed by the evidence from the  psychiatrist for the prosecution that it lead me to believe that either HFPD is not real or this author has been extremely wreckless with the facts in her story!

Would love to hear anybody else's opinion on this, especially on the medical recognition of HFPD.

Thank you,
Albie

practical

Re: High Functioning PD shown on BBC Drama
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:23:12 AM »
Welcome to OOTF!

I'm not able to answer your questions as I'm not a medical professional. This board is run by and for people who have a loved one with a PD in their life. You can see how High-functioning vs. Low-functioning is defined in our Glossary from the view of somebody living with a PDperson: http://outofthefog.website/other-articles/2015/12/12/high-functioning-and-low-functioning

Because you have identified yourself as someone who suffers from OCPD,  we want to make sure you're aware of a couple of things as you settle in.

Out of the FOG is a community dedicated to offering support and information to people who have a loved one or family member who suffers from a personality disorder. That doesn't necessarily exclude those who also have a PD from participating but the rule is we come here to discuss our relationship issues as they pertain to the other people in our lives with a PD, and not PD recovery issues as they pertain to the self. If you suffer from, or suspect you suffer from a personality disorder, we welcome your participation as long as the discussion still revolves around dealing with the loved ones in your life with a PD and not on your own recovery from a PD.   

Also, we'd like you to be aware that people at a site like this are often hurting a great deal.  They come here needing a safe place to vent about how they may have been hurt by the person in their life with a PD.  At times, these comments can be harsh. Reading them may trigger you, if you are not far enough along in your own recovery to let these comments pass without becoming upset or attempting to speak on behalf of others with personality disorders.

Thanks for your understanding, and again Welcome to Out of the FOG.
If Im not towards myself, who is towards myself? And when Im only towards myself, what am I? And if not now, when? (Rabbi Hillel)

"I can forgive, but I cannot afford to forget." (Moglow)

Albie

Re: High Functioning PD shown on BBC Drama
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 10:59:21 AM »
OK, thanks for replying.

I know how difficult I can be to live with and what struck me was the fact that I will go to an extraodinary effort to appear 'normal' outside the home, aka the High Functioning PD description, so appreciate that there is somewhere for those we drive mad to vent their frustration!

Carry on the good work.

Best wishes,
Albie