"The emotionally absent mother" by Jasmin lee cori

Started by Fightsong, March 05, 2017, 12:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fightsong

By Jasmin lee cori. I'm reading this. It's lovely. Very gentle. And very positive. Does not frame things as PD, but explores many of the usual themes.  Has ideas for healing, lots about inner child stuff, and takes the long view. I am liking it, and almost feel the authors empathy off the page.

Irish-Molly

Thanks, I'm going to look on Amazon!

hellobliss123

all4peace

I just finished this book. It is excellent in so many ways--overviews of what is needed from our mothers, what it looks like when it's missing, how that affects us as children and adults, how to start filling in the gaps, how to find the Good Mother from partners, therapists, friends. I highly recommend this book.

GettingOOTF

LightOrb

I've been crying since I bought it a few hours ago. I am described there, and it's so painful. Not because of my M, I am not crying for her anymore and perhaps that's also very sad. I am crying because I did not deserve this. How much suffering could I have avoided if I'd known this 17 years ago.

RavenLady

I appreciated this book for several reasons, and I do have one caveat.

I appreciated its gentleness. It's well written. When I read it I was not ready to see my parents as PD and this book did not require me to. It focused instead on what I wasn't getting, rather than what Mom was doing. I appreciated that.

Another book in a similar vein that I read second to this one is "Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents: How to Heal From Distant, Rejecting or Self-Involved Parents," by Lindsay Gibson. I felt more comfortable with the style of this one but it might also be that Cori's book was kind of a shocker and I had to ease into some of these concepts.

My caveat is that I found the treatment of gender in Cori's book to be pretty rigid. I don't think there was any mention of how men can provide the nurturing role instead of women, nor allowance for same-sex couples nor genderqueer folks as parents. I was hoping the treatment of these issues would be more modern or at least acknowledge that healthy kids can and do result from "nontraditional" families.
sometimes in the open you look up
to see a whorl of clouds, dragging and furling
your whole invented history. You look up
from where you're standing, say
among the stolid mountains,
and in that moment your life
becomes the margin
of what matters
-- Terry Ehret