Narcissistic Parenting, Emotional Incest and C-PTSD

• 6 Replies

bohemian butterfly

Narcissistic Parenting, Emotional Incest and C-PTSD
« on: June 01, 2017, 05:26:11 PM »
I hope that it is OK to post a short video. 

I think that I need to describe the video and how it relates.  If not permitted, please feel free to remove.

This short video is about narcissistic parents and their desire to make you their psychological slaves.  It is called "Narcissistic Parenting, Emotional Incest and Complex PTSD.  It is 10 minutes long

I think that the narrator is using a voice scrambler to protect himself, so once you get over the robotic narrative, this video is pretty soothing/therapeutic. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIdf5PDU0ng

Fergie2

Re: Narcissistic Parenting, Emotional Incest and C-PTSD
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 06:38:06 PM »
Thanks for posting, that was very helpful! I checked out the other videos on that channel and although there are a few underlying religious parts in the other videos (I am personally not religious), I think this is a really great watch for a lot of us here.

It's funny because I'm pretty sure I came across this channel months ago but it did not interest me much so it shows that I am further along on my journey. I didn't even know what CPTSD was back then. My do things change once you make the decision to take responsibility for your life and learn more about the situation you're currently in. At least they did internally for me which is starting to manifest itself in my actual life only now, after about 6 months of internal work and "armchair" aka internet therapy. It's hard to listen to some of those things in the video but growth is not found in comfort. Thanks for posting!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:45:08 PM by Fergie2 »

Amadahy

• When someone shows you who they are, believe them.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 06:41:50 PM »
Thank you so much, BB.  I think this will help my husband understand what I contended with and how far I've come.  It's hard for ppl with no PDs in their family to understand and it's hard for me to explain.  TY ❤️❤️❤️
Ring the bells that still can ring;
Forget your perfect offering.
There's a crack in everything ~~
That's how the Light gets in!

~~ Leonard Cohen

bohemian butterfly

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 11:57:26 AM »
Thank you so much, BB.  I think this will help my husband understand what I contended with and how far I've come.  It's hard for ppl with no PDs in their family to understand and it's hard for me to explain.  TY ❤️❤️❤️

I totally agree.  I've been (slowing) trying to get my boyfriend to understand the fears I have.  He listens intently and seems to attempt to understand my fears, but I think that he has a hard time with why I can't just "let it go."  He also doesn't know that I have PTSD;  my stomach drops whenever I get a text, phone call or visit from my mother.   

Those with PDs act differently around other people (more apt to "behave").  Other people also don't see or get the covert abuse that is happening  (the sarcasm, the "look," the inside jokes (that aren't funny) the voice, the body language, etc).  Other people are oblivious while you are sitting there silently having a panic attack.  It is lonesome and it is invalidating.

Blueskies

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 12:03:54 PM »
Great little video. I am lucky that my bf understands...he has a NM too. Bohemian butterfly - I have exactly the same reaction to communication from my M, and panic attacks....you can't just 'let it go' because it's not on a conscious level. Plus you have that reaction to abuse for a reason...it's your body telling you to protect yourself!

Seichan

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 01:14:07 PM »
I've been (slowing) trying to get my boyfriend to understand the fears I have.  He listens intently and seems to attempt to understand my fears, but I think that he has a hard time with why I can't just "let it go." 

Oh, this is the worst thing: trying to get validation close to home. I'm well accustomed to the "get over it" brigade and no longer fall apart at that message, but someone needs to make it clear to them that there's no "letting it go" without validation. Just this post sets me off again...

Hazy111

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 05:04:52 PM »
Thanks for posting. This happened to me.