Failing at coping with a narcissistic ex

• 1 Replies

2BLoved

Failing at coping with a narcissistic ex
« on: June 27, 2017, 11:10:06 AM »
Hi, look, I'm not sure if on the right forum for this, but I'm suffering because I believe I have been psychologically abused, controlled, manipulated by a very damaged but clever individual for years, my son's mother.  I don't really know what else to say right now because this has continued for a long time and the stress of it has caused my memory to suffer, I know I have blanked a lot out.  All I know is that my health is suffering and I can't cope with her anymore, it's messing with my head.

I'm not good at keeping everything bottled up inside, found myself becoming very bitter over the years to the point where my anger festered, confided in the wrong people and now everyone knows my business.

If I say anything I'm an "attention seeker" I don't know what to do anymore
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:14:46 AM by 2BLoved »

practical

Re: Failing at coping with a narcissistic ex
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 06:50:21 PM »
Welcome to OOTF!

I'm very sorry to hear that this is having an effect on your health and your outlook of life. It might not be your memory that is bad but rather the effects of gaslighting (see Glossary    ) that make you feel you don't know what is real and what isn't anymore. I think these boards might help you to regain some perspective, and provide you validation. Check out the Toolbox     for some ways to help yourself, and look at the various boards that might help you:
Co-parenting and Secondary Relationships
Chosen Relationships

You may also want to look at the information about NPD in the Disorders   section. Looking at the traits and reading about "what to do and What not to do has helped me tremendously.

I'm happy you have found us and I hope these boards will make as much difference your life as they have made in mine.
If Im not towards myself, who is towards myself? And when Im only towards myself, what am I? And if not now, when? (Rabbi Hillel)

"I can forgive, but I cannot afford to forget." (Moglow)