Experience with custody agreements?

• 2 Replies

mamato3

Experience with custody agreements?
« on: July 05, 2017, 10:12:54 PM »
Hi.
Ex and I are signing an agreement tomorrow ending his visitation and granting me sole custody after some things have happened in the last week that have shown me/us that he is not able or willing to care for our son appropriately. Have you found that judges will usually sign agreements without having a hearing or do you usually have to go in for another hearing? My ex has said he won't be attending any more court hearings at all, so I'd basically be there alone.
What is your experience?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:16:11 PM by mamato3 »

Steve42

Re: Experience with custody agreements?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 10:32:35 AM »
Hi mamato, my understanding is that if you and your ex "agree" to something, then there is no reason for a hearing. The only reason a judge would be involved would be if something is in dispute. Although the judge might have to sign your agreement....not really sure about that part (we had a mediation agreement and it was filed with the court but no judge ever signed it).

MaxPlanck

Re: Experience with custody agreements?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 02:44:09 PM »
I assume this issue is over now, but if you have an agreement in the form of a stipulated order (an order to which you both agree), you should be able to just submit it to the judge's clerk and get it signed off without a hearing. This seems to be the typical way to modify an existing divorce settlement. If you could not agree, then you would need a hearing, possibly with an expert evaluation or two involved, to settle the matter.