"Arrested Development", the TV show that looks exactly like an N family!

• 4 Replies

all4peace

• Global Moderator
My sister has been trying to get me to watch this show for a while. Finally did it. It's like a train wreck. It's so awful and I just can't look away, and it looks like a slightly varied and slightly exaggerated version of my own M. It's incredible to watch!

When Lucille tries to triangulate her kids, destroy them to protect herself, is totally self absorbed, etc., I just have to laugh in recognition. Thankfully, my FOO's siblings don't duplicate those in the show (almost all totally inept and irresponsible), but the mother figure is unbelievably similar to my own.

Has anyone else seen this show and found the similarities? Nearly every episode is flashing me to happenings in my own family. For instance, when the mother (Lucille) sees her son and daughter getting close, she deliberately tells each of them lies about the other and things they're supposedly saying bad about the other. It reminded me of recently how my uNM started spreading ugliness about my sister, telling our SIL that S has an "anger problem."

When Lucille tries to hit her son with a car, then gets in an accident, she drags her other son from the passenger seat to the driver's seat to avoid getting in trouble herself. It reminded me of when uNM was caught in a lie, and told my S that her daughter (S's daughter) was the one lying and that uNM couldn't trust her granddaughter or be left alone with her anymore. She would rather throw her own very young granddaughter under the bus and destroy the trust between her daughter and granddaughter than admit to her own lie!

Anyway, just having a horrifying and fun time with this show and wonder if anyone else felt the same.

SunnyMeadow

I haven't seen the show but I'll be on the lookout for it now! Thanks for posting about it  :)

raindrop

It doesn't remind me toooo much of my own family but I agree it is very disordered and some of the behaviours are similar. It can be kind of cathartic to laugh at on TV.
The one that reminds me of my family is actually the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice :P Mrs Bennet is like a slightly more benign version of my mother and Mr Bennet a slightly less enabling version of my father. I enjoy it but it's quite triggering at the same time.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Dinah-sore

I have never seen it, I just checked it out online and watched a few previews. I really enjoy many of the actors that are in it, so I can't wait to watch it. Thanks for sharing.

It doesn't remind me toooo much of my own family but I agree it is very disordered and some of the behaviours are similar. It can be kind of cathartic to laugh at on TV.
The one that reminds me of my family is actually the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice :P Mrs Bennet is like a slightly more benign version of my mother and Mr Bennet a slightly less enabling version of my father. I enjoy it but it's quite triggering at the same time.
I have seen that! I have never noticed that the Bennet family may have some PD! I just thought they were really embarrassing! But now that you mention it, I totally see it!!! And Jane is the Dutiful Daughter, the golden child. The other sisters have some issues too. How did Elizabeth turn out so confident and self assured? LOL.
"I had to accept the fact that, look, this is who I am. I have to be who I am, and all of us have a right to be who we are. And whenever we submit our will, because our will is a gift, our will is given to us, whenever we submit our will to someone else's opinion a part of us dies." --Lauryn Hill

GypsyArticulator

We watch this show pretty regularly. It's actually playing in the background right now.

It doesn't remind me of the family dynamics I deal with but I think the reason the show works (and the family for that matter) is because they are all Ns. Other than the kids (who are picking up the traits) no one really can get hurt with the exception of outsiders that land in their path. They did such a good job with the show and really writing in all of the variables of the N disorder.

Another show to look into that has glowing Ns in it, is It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia. They are always sabotaging each other with their own selfishness but aren't bright enough to see the negative impact it leaves on themselves. One character is more of a sociopath which is revealed more and more as time goes on. Frank (Danny Davido) does an AMAZING job on the show. From what I understand he joined in the 2nd season because it looked like fun and he just liked how the show worked. I believe he has some creative control over his character too. The writers/creators are friends in real life, so there is some great chemistry happening to real you in. On the outside, the show is obnoxious and loud but as the characters develop, you learn more and about their psyche and see similarities of the BS that we deal with. It is a bit like Arrested Development, where they are all N's so only the people crossing their paths get hurt.