Any other pagans and/or spiritual agnostics?

• 4 Replies

InHidingWithMacSeth

Any other pagans and/or spiritual agnostics?
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:58:59 PM »
I consider myself a devout agnostic witch. Just wondering if there's anyone else who is on this level here.

Thanks.
No one is a bottomless pit of giving, but some are bottomless pits of taking.

*This message brought to you by someone recovering from toxicity.

Latchkey

• Administrator
Re: Any other pagans and/or spiritual agnostics?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 01:34:03 AM »
I am a member of a Unitarian Universalist congregation that welcomes those who follow earth centered religions and pagans and agnostics. So, no, I'm not a pagan but I wanted to say welcome! (I was raised in a mix of  judeo-christian faiths and attended too many to list-- different churches and synagogues and religious schools growing up, then married Catholics, so I am close to agnostic but not exactly) :bigwink:
Pray for the dead and fight like hell for the living.
-Mother Jones
-
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.
-Maya Angelou
-
When we have the courage to do what we need to do, we unleash mighty forces that come to our aid.

AmericanWoman

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 11:22:43 AM »
Hi InHiding!

Ok, you got my curiosity up.  I love learning about different faiths.  I am 100% Christian and was raised that way and that puts me at a somewhat disadvantage at understanding some other forms of worshiping.

Here's my question (bc I honestly don't know): 

What does a "devout agnostic witch" believe in, I hate to use the word rules but since I'm ignorant to what it is, what are the rules to be a devout agnostic witch?  What are ppl that believe in that for, what are the goals per sey?

InHidingWithMacSeth

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 03:11:45 AM »
That is a great question and I will fulfill it to the best of my ability!

At some point when I was maybe 17 or so, I started losing my faith in God and Jesus and all things I was raised with. Where it went I have no clue, but since it was drilled into me at a very young age, it took probably about 3 years to fully just sort of dissipate. At first it was sort of scary and confusing, but continuing to believe in a book that was written by the hands of men and tainted by the culture of the time just sort of fell apart.

Many people who say that they are aethiest don't realize that they're not, they're really just agnostic. Aethiest means you believe in nothing. This life is it, when we die we go into oblivion. It's pretty scary, but aside from that, it seems pretty unlikely to me. So being Agnostic means you think there's something, but you just don't know what it is. Many agnostics self-describe as siritual but not religious. Many of them are seeking out for faith and/or truth, and many don't mind living in a state of not knowing. That is how I live now, unknowing, and searching, but very mildly. I am content to stay in this state of unknowing, open to whatever peaks my interest and doing what I care to do in order to explore different faiths. At some point, I started realizing that I'm just a human, and if there's a God or Buddah or Mother or whatever out there, I don't know how I would ever feel really solid in my faith in my beliefs in that sort of higher power ever again. That said, I will very very rarely do a prayer or meditate or whatever, and if I speak of or to a higher power, I say "the creator". Unlike a witch that IDs as "Wiccan", I don't believe in a God and Goddess, or other pagan deities, such as Norse gods. Being that I am open to anything though, I had a friend of mine do Sabbats with me where we focused on a deity of old Egyptian ways, and I have done plenty of blended practices with my friend who is Christian, but as such really doesn't ever ID herself as a witch, although she is more learned on a lot of Earth magick than I am! I am highly respectful to other religions and beliefs and really the worst person to try to get into a religious debate with, because my answer for everything is a very simple "That's really great that you believe that."

For me, being of a pagan faith doesn't really go against my beliefs as agnostic. Being a witch means that I rely on a lot of things such as energy. I am highly attuned with energy. I FELT the presence of an older woman who was dead pass through my boyfriend's room. This spirit/ghost/angel/collection of energy/energetic memory (I believe in all of these things!) whatever it was, didn't seem to notice my presence at all and was just passing through. Maybe it was someone on their way to the next place. I don't know. So energy is one thing I do have a concrete faith in. I guess you can say I believe in things that I personally experience, but even then, I will freely admit that some things I have experienced- like seeing a ghost (which happened to me most when I was younger) could have been my brain malfunctioning, a hallucination or my imagination. I have a hard time with things that I experience with other people- such as the demonic thing that was staring at me from the corner of the car and as we sped away my one other friend in the car was describing this thing, where it was, that it was staring at me and everything before I said anything about it!!! That was one craaaazy night!

I believe in the healing (and other) powers of the Earth. From dust and back to the dust, so it must have some sort of memory of being alive once. I don't entirely understand how or why, honestly, but I am not sure that those matter to me. I believe that there are energetic fields in earthen things and that we ourselves put energy into things, such as sentimental items or places, like a home or a photograph.

I have a lot of rocks. A lot of skulls of animals. Many people believe witches sacrifice animals, and while some do, many do not and many are even vegetarians or vegans. I live with 2 vegan witches. We try to stay in tune with things like the moon, but many pagans aren't into astrology. I am, sort of, typical Cancer. ;) The skulls I have are ones that I very strangely happened across. I have many cat and dog skulls, which is so odd because I am a vet tech, but these are things I found out in nature! I feel like they chose me, sort of.

I don't know whether I believe in past lives. It would be one of a few things I'd like to hone in on and see if I do or do not believe in that. I get ideas of things like, being Inuit (Eskimo), because I KNOW things that I shouldn't know, like what a dolphin and whale feel like. I believe I have recollections of what burning animal fat smells like and have always been highly drawn to the culture. I read Julie of the Wolves when I was in 6th grade or so and was so struck by the book that I purchased it again in my early 30's to re-read.

I cremated my late mother's cat when she died. The ceremony was really beautiful. I have a bone of hers that I pulled out afterward and it broke into 2 in my pocket and makes the most lovely *tink* when it clicks together. I plan on making a necklace of it someday, but I am not ready for that yet.

I believe a great deal in intentions. But I also believe that intentions can go terribly wrong, usually in the wrong hands.

I believe that colors have magick. And the Earth, Wind, Water, Fire and life energies all have their own magicks.

Ask away. I love telling people about my beliefs because I know that we are in a time of change right now and that many people are starting to open up to other possibilities.
No one is a bottomless pit of giving, but some are bottomless pits of taking.

*This message brought to you by someone recovering from toxicity.

AmericanWoman

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 11:39:40 PM »
Thank you for taking your time to explain, I do appreciate it and am more educated in the different beliefs.  I have a good friend that is into rocks.  Her husband and I throw stones at her to "Baptize" her with power from the klingon rock people  :bigwink:

When I hear "Earth, Wind and Fire" I want to dance, they were one of the best disco dance bands in the 80's    :groovey: