Asterisk showing in avatar

• 22 Replies

illogical

Asterisk showing in avatar
« on: October 03, 2017, 11:02:58 PM »
Why did an asterisk replace my avatar?  It replaced others' also.
"Applying logic to potentially illogical behaviour is to construct a house on shifting foundations.  The structure will inevitably collapse."

__Stewart Stafford

practical

Re: Asterisk showing in avatar
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 08:44:11 AM »
We are trying to figure it out, we are having the same problem. We can see some and not others and different people seem to be able to see different ones, for example I can see yours. So please bear with us as we are sorting this out.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 08:45:54 AM by practical »
If Im not towards myself, who is towards myself? And when Im only towards myself, what am I? And if not now, when? (Rabbi Hillel)

"I can forgive, but I cannot afford to forget." (Moglow)

illogical

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 11:34:14 AM »
Thanks for your reply, practical.  I can't see yours, only an asterisk.  I can also see some, but not others.  Very strange.
"Applying logic to potentially illogical behaviour is to construct a house on shifting foundations.  The structure will inevitably collapse."

__Stewart Stafford

practical

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 09:56:15 AM »
Okay, this is more of a patch. Here is what has worked for some of us:

First option:
Uploading a photo/avatar through a photo sharing site, here are some explanations for this:
https://itstillworks.com/make-own-avatar-url-7763334.html
Then within your profile setting under "personalized picture" you chose "specify avatar by URL" and copy the "direct" link there.

Second option:
Google an image of your liking, click on it, select "view image" of the options google gives you, a new window should open with just the image, and that URL you can use. Copy it and paste in your profile settings into the box that shows up when you choose "specify avatar by URL" under "personalized picture".  If the URL is too long, it might not work but be interpreted as "no avatar" and you end up with the question mark in a blue box. My guess is, the URL cannot be longer than 50?

As I said, this is a stop-gap, we haven't figured out yet why the direct uploading of pictures doesn't work. Hope this helps for now.
If Im not towards myself, who is towards myself? And when Im only towards myself, what am I? And if not now, when? (Rabbi Hillel)

"I can forgive, but I cannot afford to forget." (Moglow)

illogical

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 11:30:02 PM »
Thanks, practical.  I used the second option and it worked, but only when I found an image of my avatar that wasn't very large. 

I think the problem has to do with the parameters set for avatars in Simple Machines.  I've read it can be tricky.  It may have to do with a ceiling set on how large the avatar file is.  Anyway, thanks a bunch!

__Stewart Stafford

Widdershins3

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 09:36:27 PM »
Okay, this is more of a patch. Here is what has worked for some of us:

First option:
Uploading a photo/avatar through a photo sharing site, here are some explanations for this:
https://itstillworks.com/make-own-avatar-url-7763334.html
Then within your profile setting under "personalized picture" you chose "specify avatar by URL" and copy the "direct" link there.

Second option:
Google an image of your liking, click on it, select "view image" of the options google gives you, a new window should open with just the image, and that URL you can use. Copy it and paste in your profile settings into the box that shows up when you choose "specify avatar by URL" under "personalized picture".  If the URL is too long, it might not work but be interpreted as "no avatar" and you end up with the question mark in a blue box. My guess is, the URL cannot be longer than 50?

As I said, this is a stop-gap, we haven't figured out yet why the direct uploading of pictures doesn't work. Hope this helps for now.

I don't have an image on a file-sharing site, so I tried uploading from my computer, but it isn't working. I also tried 3 different small sizes, to see if maybe my first (small) image was too big. But none of them show up.   I guess I'll wait a few days and try again...
I certainly wasn't happy. Happiness has to do with reason, and only reason earns it. What I was given was the thing you can't earn, and can't keep, and often don't even recognize at the time; I mean joy.

Ursula K. LeGuin

Spring Butterfly

• Spring Butterfly
  • Administrator
  • You can be free and heal ❤️‍🩹
    • One Key to Better Boundaries
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 12:35:01 PM »
Using the IP Addy of any online image should work even if you don't host on a file sharing site. We're trying to figure this out and thanks for your patience.
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage-plan accordingly, make time to heal
Individuation is one key to emotional freedom
It's foolish to expect of others what they have no capacity to give
my Empowered Growth blog

Widdershins3

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 02:39:41 PM »
I've been trying for weeks to upload a small avatar photo from my computer (I don't use photo-sharing sites anymore) and it just failed to work again. Please, is there a work-around for people uploading from their computer?
I certainly wasn't happy. Happiness has to do with reason, and only reason earns it. What I was given was the thing you can't earn, and can't keep, and often don't even recognize at the time; I mean joy.

Ursula K. LeGuin

Spring Butterfly

• Spring Butterfly
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 05:53:28 PM »
All I've found that works is finding a pic on the internet I like and copying the link from there. Photo sharing didn't work for me, it had to be a public link. The pic I found was similar to the previous avatar.

Totally not sure I understood what I read but I think once it's saved a thumbnail file is saved on the forum hosting end. So if the link or original pic changes it doesn't impact the avatar.

We're trying to find time between real life stuff to figure it out but in the meantime is there an internet pic link that would be good enough?
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage-plan accordingly, make time to heal
my Empowered Growth blog

VeryUncertain

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 12:58:37 PM »
I would add that it's not sufficient to put http://   

If the url image redirects to https:// then it won't work.

biggerfish

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 01:25:19 PM »
A few days ago I tried reuploading my avatar. At first it worked. But then it disappeared again.

Widdershins3

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 01:08:55 PM »
My avatar showed up, then disappeared recently too. Today I tried to add one and got this message:  The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

Can you tell me how to currently upload the photo?

Ursula K. LeGuin

xredshoesx

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 01:11:58 PM »
it happened to me too.  we will be double checking that all our features came over with the migration-

VeryUncertain

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 01:53:03 PM »
When I try to upload avatar image I get an error: "The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved."

This web site seems to work for avatar URLs: https://avatars.alphacoders.com/ large selection.

Be sure to replace https: with http: when you enter the URL into your forum profile avatar
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 02:19:24 PM by VeryUncertain »

xredshoesx

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 02:22:24 PM »
i see an avatar now, very uncertain- is that the one you were trying to customize your profile with?

VeryUncertain

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 02:24:54 PM »
The avatar currently on my profile uses a URL.  If I try to upload an avatar image I get the error.

moglow

• Administrator
  • >^..^<
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 02:25:14 PM »
Please keep in mind - server migration completed yesterday evening. We're very much checking out all processes on the board as we get to them.
"Expectations are disappointments under construction.  ~ Cap'n Spanky

Stop Stinkin' Thinkin'!

eclipse

• Out of the FOG Website
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 02:36:01 AM »

My avatar is missing too!

:blink:

Spring Butterfly

• Spring Butterfly
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 11:22:15 AM »
Mine is to a url so it's still working.
my Empowered Growth blog

Spring Butterfly

• Spring Butterfly
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 12:01:39 PM »
Try it now.
my Empowered Growth blog