We don't have to work hard at receiving forgiveness

• 1 Replies

biggerfish

We don't have to work hard at receiving forgiveness
« on: December 09, 2017, 11:24:50 AM »
I went looking online for an article about forgiving those who won't forgive me (for minor stuff but in my mind it's major!) but instead I found an article that plays down the importance of receiving such forgiveness from those who have no interest, and instead focuses on God as being much more important than human beings. I really loved reading this article because as a recovering people pleaser, it really struck me that I've been making people's opinions too important. I hope that this article hits home for some folks here. It sure hit home for me.

https://924jeremiah.wordpress.com/2013/06/09/unforgivable/

In the end, the author suggests compassion toward the person rather than seeking forgiveness from them. Indeed, it must be emotionally painful to harbor a lot of negativity (been there, done that myself!)

SonofThunder

Re: We don't have to work hard at receiving forgiveness
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 12:07:43 PM »
I didnít read the article yet, but I will agree that forgiveness is a tool for the offended, and does not require the offender to agree, apologize or take any action. It also does not require the offender to know that forgiveness has been done (forgiveness of a deceased abusive father for example). 

For me, forgiveness is a God-provided tool for the offended to release the offense off of them and give it to God to handle, which A: works proactively toward releasing the offenses grip on our mind, B: does not allow the offender to Ďwiní and C: strengthens our relationship with God, who can handle anything given. 

Sure, the offended may have to deal with the offenses continuous consequences (physical, mental, financial, loss etc...) even after forgiveness, but the person doing the forgiving is proactively releasing the offense and offender to God. 

Thanks for posting. Cheers.

SoT
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in contented peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.