Has any thought been given to creating in-person support groups?

• 7 Replies

MIB

• I can influence others, but I can only change me.
Has any thought been given to creating in-person support groups?
« on: December 27, 2017, 10:30:24 PM »
Hello all (perhaps especially the administrators/moderators),

I was just wondering if any thought has been given to creating OOTF in-person support groups to supplement the wonderful online forum? I know that "Stand Alone" has them in the London, UK area, but - at least in my city - there isn't really anything like that (and I live in a major city).

Curious if this has been explored and what some thoughts were?

Thanks!
MIB

xredshoesx

• Administrator
Re: Has any thought been given to creating in-person support groups?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 11:38:10 PM »
we've had members in the past establish meet up groups through meet up dot com on their own but face to face support is not within the scope/ sequence of the guidelines.

Hattie

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »
There are some groups in the UK outside London associated with specific NHS primary care trusts. Contact your local personality disorder community service to find out. Or try a general mental health carer support group? Mind have some good courses etc for carers too... good luck finding something suitable.
Love is patient; love is kind.
It does not envy; it does not boast.
It is not proud. It does not dishonour others.
It is not self-seeking. It is not easily angered.
It keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

1 Corinthians 13: 5-8.

guitarman

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 02:13:11 PM »
There are some PD carers support groups in the U.K. but they are few and far between.

I know of one that is a complex needs and PD carers support group. So some may be classed under complex needs.

You could try finding out about your nearest Recovery College if your mental health trust has one. They run free courses for service users and carers. Some are about coping as a carer with someone in your life diagnosed with PD.

Also you could try getting in touch with your local carers centre. They may have a mental health carers group.

You may also try contacting the major mental health charities as they may have a local carers group you could go along to.

Once you start going to groups and networking with other carers you will find out about other things that may help you.

If there is not a dedicated PD carers support group nearby you may like to set one up. I wouldn't advise doing it on your own but get help from a carers centre or mental health charity.

You'll meet people who are probably eager to join as they are in a similar situation as yourself.

There are many things set up for service users but not so much for carers. We have to stand up, be vocal and demand support. If others aren't going to do it for us we have to do it for ourselves. We matter too.

Best wishes

guitarman
"Do not let the behaviour of others destroy your inner peace." - Dalai Lama

"You don't have to be a part of it, you can become apart from it." - guitarman

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can." - Anon

"If it hurts it isn't love." - Kris Godinez, counsellor and author

MIB

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 04:38:57 PM »
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I don't live in the UK, and while there are formalized mental health programs for carers with BPD in my city, it seems that they are massively under-resourced (ie. I had applied to be part of the program the very first day of registration, and I was denied because the program was already full). So while some resourcing clearly is better than none, but it indicates to me that there is a huge, unmet need...which led me to the post.

That said, I appreciate this forum immensely - it has been a great help and source of support in a difficult time.

guitarman

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 06:21:59 PM »
I misunderstood and thought that you were in the U.K.

I'm glad to hear that there is a BPD carers support program near you but so sorry to hear that you can't go to it because it's full. What a shame. Hopefully you can join it in the future. Please keep applying.

There maybe other mental health carers groups in your area that you can join. I hope so.

There is a list of other websites in the Resources then Links section of this website.

One organisation I find very useful is the NEABPD National Education Alliance for Borderline Personality Disorder

https://www.borderlinepersonalitydisorder.com/

They have lots of videos on their site.

If you are in the USA they have a Family Connections program that you maybe able to join.

Best wishes

guitarman
"Do not let the behaviour of others destroy your inner peace." - Dalai Lama

"You don't have to be a part of it, you can become apart from it." - guitarman

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can." - Anon

"If it hurts it isn't love." - Kris Godinez, counsellor and author

MIB

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 12:30:30 PM »
Thank you for your reply, guitarman. You actually inspired me to dig a bit deeper and I found a BPD family and friends support group in my city on meetup.com. Who knows what it will be like, but I'm willing to try :)

Thanks again,
MIB

GettingOOTF

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 12:32:32 PM »
Al-Anon might be helpful. There is a lot of similarities between being caretaking a PD and an alcoholic. It seems to me there is a lot of over lap too.