The Silent Treatment

• 22 Replies

ManifestNY

Re: The Silent Treatment
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 05:09:15 PM »
Hi all! Thanks for sharing below - I found it really useful.  This is my first post and I wanted to ask how you feel if your in a situation where you are giving people the silent treatment because they are attached to the NPD in your life and talking to them fuels a toxic situation.  I know that I am likely hurting people that I have known for a long time and don't see what I do, but they hurt me in every interaction where I am trying to trust and end up getting burned.  So, I'm going no contact with some flying monkeys too, but I imagine that it's being interpreted as an immature silent treatment.  In reality, I've been alienated and have to find a way to move on.  Is there another way to deal with this? I'm aware that my behavior is approaching a line as well...

Thank you!!

desertpine

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2018, 10:51:49 AM »
I have 3 months left in my current office and I wonder how long the silent treatment will last. I think it will last at least a month. And I expect at some point she'll write a lengthy, dramatic letter. That's been her MO with other people she had a falling out with in the past.

I wrote that in April and here it is the end of June  and my prediction was right- in my last day working with her, she left a long dramatic letter to me and left the office. 3 months of no eye contact and no communication, then she left the letter on the counter and walked out the door. I call it “Dump and run. “. I skimmed it but there wasn’t anything worth reading in it - just put downs, character attacks, blame towards me. She’s all good and I’m all bad- that kind of thing.    Today I finish packing the office and tomorrow I move into my new one. Such a relief!!

Salsera

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 01:34:52 AM »
Congratulations! You sound so much better and less stressed. :applause:

How brave of you to glance at the letter. I would have thrown it in the garbage without reading it. Or, left it on her desk unopened.
"Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." - Martin Luther King, Jr.