What is worse than 1 uNPD is 2 uNPD

• 1 Replies

desertpine

What is worse than 1 uNPD is 2 uNPD
« on: April 29, 2018, 10:44:53 AM »
Iíve written in another thread about my coworker and her silent treatment. To add to the drama though is the landlord. I knew before I moved into the office that he had a reputation for being arrogant, entitled and grandiose. Until now, itís been amusing to irritating to rent from him. Long story short is he has a pattern of negligence when it comes to building maintenance and then will go over the top with something incidental and brag about it. But I have a serious problem when his negligence results in health/ safety risks! For example- the windows on my floor are all sealed shut. There would be no escape in a fire and he refused to fix that. I let go of fighting that. But now we have had a roof leak for several months  in the office that he kept making excuses about fixing. So now there are large pieces of paint coming off on the ceiling and walls. The carpet has been wet for days following rain. And it smells bad. I sent a picture to my attorney for advice and he said to give a written letter saying if it isnít fixed in 10 days, I will terminate the lease and move due to health and safety risks. So I did that and of course the landlord was huffy - saying he has been responsive and polite because he has repeatedly checked on the water damage and emailed a contractor but the winter weather postponed the repairs. I responded that it is now the end of April, over a month into Spring and so it needs to be fixed and the resulting mold needs to be cleaned. I added that it is more of a benefit to him as the owner of the building to fix it than it is to me. It is more of a risk to him as well, to allow water damage to lead to structural problems, cosmetic issues and mold growth. It hurts his reputation and the chance to find a new tenant (Iím leaving in July) and to keep the tenant long term. 
My problem is that Iíve been livid and scared since I sent the initial email to him. He tried to discredit me in his response and he inflated himself- in classic NPD fashion. But he took immediate action and scheduled the roof repair for this weekend!  Heís pissed about it but the initial letter may have worked to motivate him.
I hate the drama. July canít come soon enough. If needed, I may leave sooner and take a vacation until I can move into my new office. That is sounding more and more appealing!

Bloomie

• Administrator
Re: What is worse than 1 uNPD is 2 uNPD
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 11:46:14 AM »
Quote from: desertpine
My problem is that Iíve been livid and scared since I sent the initial email to him. He tried to discredit me in his response and he inflated himself- in classic NPD fashion. But he took immediate action and scheduled the roof repair for this weekend!  Heís pissed about it but the initial letter may have worked to motivate him.
I hate the drama. July canít come soon enough. If needed, I may leave sooner and take a vacation until I can move into my new office. That is sounding more and more appealing!

Hi desert pine - sorry this slipped down the page on the board...

I am very impressed with how you handled this very difficult situation. You chose to empower yourself and get wise and helpful counsel and got the repairs done for your health and safety!

I know what you mean about those self doubts that can creep in after we have rightly and respectfully asserted ourselves. I hope you have been able to over come those and speak truth to yourself that your actions were warranted and right. I am thankful you will moving soon. Dealing with a landlord like this is just too much added drama and stress in our lives!