My Botanical Inspiration

Started by Rosa Rugosa, August 09, 2022, 05:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosa Rugosa

I want to be like Rosa Rugosa. But not a Letchberry (cheesy latin/common name humour from a plant geek)

A hardy plant, tolerant of freezing temperatures and coastal storms.
Masses of simple flowers offer nectar, pollen and eventually hips (fruits) - feeding insects, mammals and birds in exchange for pollen and seed dispersal. They live in symbiotic harmony, no-one gives or takes too much.
Their stems are covered in thorns for protection against herbivorous predation. 
They form dense clumps, providing protection for many small creatures.
They can thrive well from sand dunes to gardens to roadsides. They thrive even with neglect.
Not perfect, an annoying weed for some, nothing can perfect.
Also disease resistant - fingers crossed  ;)

NarcKiddo

I love that post, and I love the explanation of your choice of user name. I had no idea it was from a plant (I am no gardener).

It's interesting that several of those attributes are also needed by those who have to deal with PDs.
Don't let the narcs get you down!

Rosa Rugosa

Thank you NarcKiddo

I was going to choose a houseplant name. I realised they are all dependant on me for everything - beautiful but not the right inspiration for me.

xredshoesx

some of my best/ enduring childhood memories are of  the scent of beach roses on the coast.

bee well

Wow! That's beautiful, Rosa Rugosa. Love the name you chose and all it stands for...