Bipolar Disorder

• 5 Replies

helpmeplease

Bipolar Disorder
« on: July 15, 2018, 02:46:48 PM »
I have found out that my ex's female friend has bipolar disorder. I can't seem to find it in the types of disorder section. Is it the same as BPD?

xredshoesx

• Administrator
Re: Bipolar Disorder
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 02:49:52 PM »
bipolar is not BPD, although they may share some common behaviors.

moglow

• Retired Administrator
  • >^..^<
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 03:12:39 PM »
I've found that a lot of people fling around "s/he is bipolar" whenever someone's behavior is erratic or out of the ordinary. Somehow it seems easier to paste a likely label on particular behavior patterns, thereby having a handy explanation.

And too, some (if they are actually diagnosed) will use said label as an excuse / justification for themselves, as if it's all out of their hands and they're a poor victim of circumstance.
"Expectations are disappointments under construction.  ~ Cap'n Spanky

Stop Stinkin' Thinkin'!

Latchkey

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 03:24:42 PM »
helpmeplease,

I am sorry you are dealing with this. Sometimes the behaviors of someone with BiPolar are similar to those of someone with a PD. It is quite common for PDs to be co-morbid with BiPolar and also Depression. Many times folks can manage the symptoms of Bipolar or Depression with medicine and therapy but struggle with the underlying PD if they have both going on. Doctors may be hesitant to diagnose a personality disorder as it generally takes a more in depth therapeutic relationship or an emergency room admission before a PD comes to light. Many of us here are dealing with undiagnosed loved ones who have PDs. So you will see a reference to uBPD with the u meaning undiagnosed.

Also a number of our members have BiPolar, so please be aware of that. The topics here are about having a loved one or family member or ex with a PD and are very much focused on trying to cope and heal from these relationships.

You might want to try this forum as it is dealing specifically with BiPolar http://www.psychforums.com/bipolar/

Hope this helps,
Latchkey

Pray for the dead and fight like hell for the living.
-Mother Jones
-
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.
-Maya Angelou
-
When we have the courage to do what we need to do, we unleash mighty forces that come to our aid.

helpmeplease

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 04:11:40 PM »
Thank you so much to all three of you. Your answers have been helpful. There is definitely something happening her behaviour is so unusual.  It is interesting about using that label  to avoid responsibility and that they may have been given that diagnosis as it is "easier" than getting an evaluation. I wonder if she has ptsd because her husband is uncaring and possibly abusive and she is depressed. He has shown a few signs. I don't know all I know is she has caused me endless upset and caused me a lot of trouble. It was an odd bizarre too close relationship between my ex and her. Maybe he was trying to protect her, maybe he knew she was ill. He defended her constantly and refused to see anything wrong in her behaviour. His behaviour was off too but he refused to discuss any of it. He used to say to me he was crazy and had the paperwork to prove it- his words. I did not get the chance to ask my ex about it as they whole short relationship was spent trying to cope with her ringing and asking him to do jobs for her each day literally. My ex was on medication and so was her husband but I don't know what or what for in either case. I am not a  discriminatory person it would not have bothered me had they been open with me and I would have helped her had she not been so hostile towards me and intruding on our time. They blame me for the whole thing. I was trying to understand and find reasons for her behavior. I am so so grateful for everyone on these forums for trying to help me. It is much appreciated. Thank you x

practical

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 12:08:18 AM »
My M was diagnosed as bipolar, it took several years to get the diagnosis as bipolar isn't necessarily easy to diagnose. There are several forms and it can be a very difficult illness to deal with others achieve a balance successfully with the help of medication and therapy. I think as all you have is hear-say, there is really very little you can really know other than something was off and caused you emotional distress.
If Im not towards myself, who is towards myself? And when Im only towards myself, what am I? And if not now, when? (Rabbi Hillel)

"I can forgive, but I cannot afford to forget." (Moglow)