Things uPDm would say...

• 5 Replies

11JB68

Things uPDm would say...
« on: August 21, 2018, 12:29:14 PM »
Seeing the loss of Aretha Franklin this week reminded me of some just bizarre stuff my uPDm would say when I was growing up.
She always portrayed to the outside world this loving, open minded person, so it was so confusing when she would say things privately that didn't match up.
Of course back then I didn't know what was going on, so it was just confusing.
I clearly remember her, on multiple occasions (if Aretha was on the radio or TV) stating with disdain a dislike of her and giving the reason 'she's a racist'. WOW. This is a woman who clearly stood for civil rights and was clearly beloved by many. WHY would uPDm need to have such a strong negative feeling towards this woman - who never did HER any harm?? And of course this statement was made as if it was fact.  :stars:

D.Dan

Re: Things uPDm would say...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 01:40:05 PM »
When I was in university and started buying myself nicer clothing (still t-shirts and jeans) for school, my upd mom would tell me to wait until a special occasion to wear them. T-shirts and jeans! She wanted me to continue looking half like a homeless person like her! Wearing things I bought when I had no money but needed to cover myself!

She did this when I took kickboxing. She wanted me to wait until my sister could come with me. My sister doesn't do that sort of thing. She jogs and that's it.

She did this when I would want to go to the movie theatre and watch a movie I like. She told me to go with my sister! Except my sister isn't into Kids movies or B-horror movies! She's a 'the notebook' type!

This always annoyed me. It felt like she was trying to sabotage my emerging, separate personality!

11JB68

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 02:20:07 PM »
Further to the racism....when a friend of mine was dating a neighbor who was African American, she disapproved and told me the bible says people of different races should not marry (1-I don't care if the bible says it...2 I don't really think the bible said that...3 they were16...NOT getting married...4-NONE of her business!!!). Years later uPDm's favourite cousin married a Chinese man...this was wonderful, he was wonderful, etc etc...

D.Dan

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 02:27:14 PM »
Yeesh.... The mind bending double standards!  :stars:

blacksheep7

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 02:50:36 PM »
She always portrayed to the outside world this loving, open minded person, so it was so confusing when she would say things privately that didn't match up.
 :yeahthat:
I may be the black sheep of the family, but some of the white sheep are not as white as they try to appear.

KD5FUL

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 11:41:27 PM »
NPD father was super racist at home (still is.)

I remember I said something inappropriate at school in third grade (I honestly didn't know better, and wasn't trying to be hateful.)

I was called into the principal's office and i told them that I heard that  word from my father.  They called my father at work. 

I was in so much trouble when I got home for repeating what he had said many times.  I was in even more trouble for telling the principal that I had heard my father say it.

In his mind, it's okay to be racist as long as you aren't publicly known as being one. It's very sad.
לפום צערא אגרא

A victim of abuse who suffers in silence will suffer the most.