The 4 Types of Fools

Started by Mary, December 03, 2018, 02:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary

I am coming to believe that the biblical definition of a "Fool" might match up with some PD behaviors.
I've been studying on it, and just came across a discussion of this in a mentorship program for inmates. It makes a lot of sense to me.
Does anyone else have verses to corroborate or refute my thinking?

From I See Me Free (Hillman, 2017, pp 115,116).

1. Simple Fool-A simple fool was a person who made mistakes but quickly righted them and was restored to fellowship with God and with others. King David was a simple fool, one who made mistakes, but kept a repentant heart toward God. That is why God did not turn away from David for his many sins. (Proverbs 12:15)
2. Hardened Fool-The hardened fool made mistakes, but never learned from them and failed to listen to others. Such people can expect God's reproof & correction to continue and will eat the fruit of their own way...King Saul was a hardened fool, one who made mistakes and continued in them even after realizing he was wrong. (Proverbs 1:31-32)
3. Mocking Fool-The third level of fool mentioned in Proverbs is the mocking fool. The mocking fool mocks the things of God. This word means "scoffer" or "scorner". When you encounter cynical, critical people who disregard the things of God, you know these people are "mocking fools." (Proverbs 15:12).
4. God-denying Fool-The fourth level of fool is the God-denying fool. This term relates to the morally wicked person who ignores the disgrace he/she brings on their family and who despises holiness...God will eventually give you over to the devil to do with you as he wills & even to a crazy mind...(Romans 1:28)

Here are the scripture references in KJV:
Prov 12:15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes...
Prov 1:31-32 Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices. 32) For the turning away of the simple shall slay them...
Prov 15:12 A scorner loveth not one that reproveth him: neither will he go unto the wise.
Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. (Isaiah 54:5)

all4peace

Mary, I'm sorry I didn't see this until now!

Wow, what an interesting study. I haven't ever thought about "types" of fools, and this is quite interesting to me. Thank you for sharing.

Here's something I heard on a podcast yesterday that would fit #2 on your list. A professor was giving his definition of sin: "Sin is active flight from a lived realization of active data." Maybe we could also call this foolishness. Again, thank you for sharing.

Mary

That's an interesting definition. It's amazing how quickly fools can twist the obvious when there's an ulterior motive or alternative agenda.
Mary
For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. (Isaiah 54:5)

Phoebe

Love the description of the 4 fool levels!
I combined some "fool"  verses from Prov 19 -

Prov 19

Their distorted reality
leads to their ruin
their heart rages
while shaking a fist at God
A price must be paid
Rescue them
and you will have to do it again.

tragedy or hope

Love Love Love this Mary. So glad you posted! Puts so much in perspective and reminds me I didn't cause it, can't control it and can't cure it. Wisdom of the Word is incomparable to anything else. As sure as the heavens.

I have a great book that speaks of the same. Many verses. "The First Will Be Last," by: D.C. Robertson. Worth the money spent on it. Comforting but real.
"When people show you who they are, believe them."
~Maya Angelou

Believe it the first time, or you will spend the rest of your life in disbelief of what they can/will do; to you. T/H

Family systems are like spider webs. It takes years to get untangled from them.  T/H

Mary

Quote from: Aware on May 25, 2020, 11:50:46 PM
Love the description of the 4 fool levels!
I combined some "fool"  verses from Prov 19 -

Prov 19

Their distorted reality
leads to their ruin
their heart rages
while shaking a fist at God
A price must be paid
Rescue them
and you will have to do it again.
Distorted reality is a great way to describe the fool's mindset. Heartbreaking to see though. You want so much to wake them up and "fix it."

Mary

Quote from: tragedy or hope on May 26, 2020, 10:23:11 AM
Comforting but real.

There is a comfort in just naming it even if you can't fix it.