No-Fault/Joint Petition - anyone have any success with this

• 3 Replies

11JB68

No-Fault/Joint Petition - anyone have any success with this
« on: December 13, 2018, 03:33:04 PM »
Has anyone here had success with filing a joint petition/no fault divorce with your PDspouse?
I feel like, given my uPDh's specific patterns, that if I were to have something drafted right away that was legally fair, and had it delivered to him for his signature, he might just sign it and save us both time/money with lawyers/courts etc.
No minor children so no custody issues.

openskyblue

Re: No-Fault/Joint Petition - anyone have any success with this
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 03:58:03 PM »
If you have joint debt and joint assets, you will still have to formalize a financial settlement agreement.

Spygirl

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 04:19:51 PM »
I am going thru mediation with a Lawyer and my PD H. It has been ok. The mediator is wise to his behavior, so he controls the meetings well. My H respects him because he is an older male, and he is being treated fair and "respectfully". That means the lawyer is able to direct him without my H feeling like there is a conspiracy against him. I could never have used a woman.
I am mostly gray rock. I answer questions the mediator asks, and my H answers questions and throws jabs at or about me when he can make them. Still, the mediator was able to guide us to a fair settlement. I actually asked for much less than i am due, just to get away. The mediator negotiated more for me, as my H can afford it, though he is crying poverty still.
I picked this person btw. My H, as much as he is "done" with me, is incapable of moving this along. So i pay for it, i schedule it, ect.
I greatest fear behind it dragging, is that he does not adhear to the judgement rendered. My H is notoriously bad at paying anything on time. I am going to request that the judgement include the language of the alimony due semi-monthly, and to be deposited directly into an account of my choosing,with a start and end date, so he is demanded to make timely payment without holding me hostage for it, which he does now. He demands we meet do he can give me cash, and hands it to me like hes paying a whore. Its bothersome.

Poison Ivy

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 08:08:46 PM »
One of my goals with my divorce was to pick a process and a property division that would require the least amount of effort and contribution from my now ex-husband.  He might have a PD but not narcissism; more likely avoidant or dependent PD.  He also has been diagnosed with ADHD. 

Here's what I did:  Divorces are no-fault in my state, so that was not an issue.  My husband and I did not file jointly.  I told him when I would be filing.  I documented all my communications with him so that the court employees would know that if he didn't do what he was supposed to (e.g., sign things, submit financial disclosure), it wasn't because I had failed to contact him or failed to encourage him to comply with the requirements. I did encourage him to discuss the property division with me but he avoided doing so.  I came up with a proposed property division that didn't require us to share work-related retirement funds with each other.  I basically did all the legwork for the divorce.  He only had to appear twice, once for the final hearing and once (before that) for a status hearing that was only necessary because he wasn't complying with the paperwork requirements. 

I didn't hire a lawyer.  I figured that doing so would have antaganized my husband and would have resulted in me paying the lawyer a lot of money to make phone calls that my husband wouldn't have answered (just like he often doesn't answer my phone calls).