I think God has a sense of humour

Started by Associate of Daniel, January 19, 2019, 06:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Associate of Daniel

A week or so ago I got brave (or stupid?) and finally asked God to send me a husband.

(You can see a lot of my story on the Coparenting and Working on Us boards.)

The next morning I panicked and prayed that God would ignore my prayer!

One of the hardest things about being a single parent is the difficulties of keeping up with house maintenance and general yard work.

A few days after my fearful request for a husband, God sent me 2 80+ year old men to help me in the yard. One to remove part of a tree that I'd had felled and some heavy rocks and another to distribute some mulch.

So, no husband, but 2 geriatric handy men.

Thanks, Lord.

AOD

openskyblue

Summer Sun

AOD, this is so cute, thanks for the chuckle.  It reminds me of eons ago, my own dilemma.

I was once told in recent past, to be specific when asking God for what we want.  Perhaps rather than "husband", a "capable and committed mate, partner, lover, friend, who is willing and able to coparent, who can love my son as his own and love me as I so deserve.  Someone who is employed, financially secure, mature, grounded, of faith"...

I've Been told to be specific and to believe in miracles, I Wish your prayers and believe your miracles will come true!!  You deserve the best!  In the meantime, enjoy the mulch and pruning lol.  Your attitude here rocks, You got this.

Summer Sun
"The opposite of Love is not Hate, it's Indifference" - Elie Wiesel

Associate of Daniel

You're right, Summer Sun. We should be specific and expect that God will act - according to His will and purpose.

Sometimes such prayers are terrifying to pray though. Like  - send me a husband.

I sometimes think, "Be careful what you pray for. You might just get it!"

I should mention that one of the geriatric men was my Uncle, who I think sometimes gets tired of the messy, unfinished state of my house!

AOD

Mary

I love that He knows what we need even if we don't quite get the request right! I look at it that I submit my detailed request, with thanksgiving of course, and He has full authority to change any line items He thinks is best. But sometimes I have no clue what to even request and just hand that part over to Him too. So you needed help with the yard work...lol!
Mary
For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. (Isaiah 54:5)

KeepingMyBlue

Yeah, I prayed for a husband, got specific...but not about his sense of humor. I love that corny huckster, but some days...

1footouttadefog

If one of them could make a decent sandwich, carry on a decent conversation and give a good neck rub I might even consider marrying him. Lol

My expectations on age and beauty  are not so high is a person was pleasant enough to be around. 

Associate of Daniel

Ha ha!

I'd forgotten about this post.

I think God might have taken my 2nd prayer seriously and forgotten my first.

There's still no sign of any future husband - and no more geriatric men turning up either!

The yard and house still need attention though...

AOD

Free2Bme

AOD, my gosh, I'm laughing on so many levels.  (never saw your original post until now). 

...I too am in home maintenance H*** right now. I feel like I'm dating my house!

I do most repairs myself, maintain 2 acres and all that goes with it;  a wonderful blessing but a lot of work.
I hope to have a husband again one day, meanwhile, I would be thrilled with 2 geriatric good samaritans!

I am content at the moment with no significant other, just praying that God would give me peace and contentment, either way. 

Thanks for the comic relief  :laugh:

tommom

Be strong! I had a wreck of a yard -I mean really!- after nearly 3 years of my PDh being in cancer treatment. I kept praying (not for a husband, obviously!) but just for help with the yard. The lawnmower was broken down and we were gone virtually every day running between the house and the hospital. (H had two different cancers.)

A friend at church starting saving the church money by mowing the grass there. He had taken an 'early retirement' and needed/wanted something to do. Then he somehow saw (or heard) how horrible our yard had gotten and showed up one day on his truck and trailer (and big, new, zero-radius mower and yard tools) He started with the grass and now not only mows it every two weeks (or sooner in the summer heat) but does our bushes, edges, I mean, it is gorgeous!!! Thank you, Lord, you really are good! Prayer answered, big time!

So, point is, don't stop praying!!!
"It is not my job to fix other people; everyone is on their own journey."