An article about family estrangement

Started by StayWithMe, January 21, 2019, 12:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

openskyblue

bloomie

StayWithMe - Thank you for sharing this article it is affirming and very well written. Would you be able to share how this link/article was meaningful for you so that our community can get a sense of what it addresses before following the link?
The most powerful people are peaceful people.

The truth will set you free if you believe it.

all4peace

Thank you for this good article. I appreciated the stats, which help me feel less alone and more a part of a growing group of people who are waking up to the realities of their familial relationships. We wouldn't choose to be here, but we also wouldn't choose to be back in the vortex.

Oh+

artfox

This was a really good read. I liked the bit about estrangement being the solution, not the problem. I hadn't thought of it that way, but it's true.

I'm often struck by the assumption that adult children who are estranged from their parents are the ones at fault. The trope of the forgotten old person, sad and alone in the nursing home comes to mind. When I see that, I always find myself wondering what that person did to drive away their family, not thinking how mean and selfish their family is.

StayWithMe

Quote from: artfox on January 23, 2019, 03:51:52 PM
This was a really good read. I liked the bit about estrangement being the solution, not the problem. I hadn't thought of it that way, but it's true.

I'm often struck by the assumption that adult children who are estranged from their parents are the ones at fault. The trope of the forgotten old person, sad and alone in the nursing home comes to mind. When I see that, I always find myself wondering what that person did to drive away their family, not thinking how mean and selfish their family is.

I remember when Margaret Thatcher's death was news in the UK, it was questioned why she was nowhere either of her two children.  One, a daughter, who was un married and child free and a son who was married and had a couple of children.

I did read that Thatcher's golden child was her son.