Weird visits with fil

Started by 11JB68, January 27, 2019, 10:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11JB68

So, the weird thing is, as in-laws go my relationship with mine has mostly been pretty good. However, since coming Out of the FOG I've realized that not only does fil likely have ocpd, but my dear mil likely was a covert narcissist, well, mostly covert.
I have a lot of weird visits with fil (mil passed away). Mostly I can laugh about them.
There's this pattern though with both of them where I know I'm never getting the whole story.
E.g. today, fil talking about his bouts with vertigo, I said Well mil had that to right? Fil: no. (Looks at me like, huh?) Me: well she told me that was why she didn't like to drive much and never on the highway....   (??)

Moon

I'm not sure, perhaps MIL never mentioned her vertigo to your FIL.  Maybe the reason she didn't drive was because he wouldn't let her.  I know with my FIL and MIL that FIL always drives, same with my parents although my mother will drive herself when she needs to.  Both my MIL and mother have said that they don't like driving on highways now that they are older, that the traffic is too fast for them.  Perhaps it was an off handed comment by your MIL rather than a full on condition that she had. How old is FIL?  Older people do get forgetful and sometimes don't make sense.  I'm not sure why your FIL would withhold information if this is something he does alot.  I guess as long as he isn't affecting your life in any way, take everything he says with a grain of salt.  People like that can be confusing, I wouldn't try to work it out, it will probably never make sense. 

I know a friend of ours that is very private and doesn't give you the whole story.  Such as he was looking for a new job and told us this but didn't tell us when he had interviews or when he got a new job.  It's this weird thing with him to withhold certain information.  He told us later when he had started at the job even though he had seen us for different things over a 3 month period and didn't mention anything at the time that he had the job.  I sometimes wonder if it's a power thing for them such as I know this but you don't.  At the end of the day whether he has a job or not, doesn't affect us at all, so it's like great ok.  It is weird knowing that we had seen him and asked him how the applications were going and he answered 'oh nothing yet' when in actual fact he had had an interview, got the job and had a starting date.  He does this all the time with different things, it's just him.  Like you said we laugh about it mostly because it is strange.