Do you think courts are biased toward mothers?

Started by anxiousmom, January 28, 2019, 07:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hhaw

IME, our family court Judge was biased toward my dx'd ASPD N husband, even while he was threatening me and our children.  It was terrifying, and I can't explain it, outside game playing, and lies behind closed doors, or on the golf course. 

Considering my attorney GOT OUR JUDGE THROUGH LAW SCHOOL, I shudder to think how things would have gone if I'd kept the attorney my Judge didn't like. 

Maybe it's common for mother's to receive biased treatment.  That wasn't my experience.

I will say that my ASPD stbx eventually outed himself, showing the Judge what he was, and the Judge reversed the decision to throw the divorce out, while also issuing a TRO from the bench.   It was very difficult for our Judge to go against laws, and every oath he ever took... though he certainly gave it the old school try.

hhaw

What you are speaks so loudly in my ears.... I can't hear a word you're saying.

When someone tells you who they are... believe them.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
Nietchzsche

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness."
Eleanor Roosevelt

newday

I think it depends on if you are in the US and even then what state you are in.  IME, both of the judges that were involved with our case were men and both loved my ExN (we are all lawyers and I've found even in my practice male judges and male lawyers treat other male lawyer far better the their female counterparts).  My state just adoped the presumption fathers' will get 50% which has made things way worse.  My first judge viewed me as erratic and emotional and had zero experience, training or empathy when it came to domestic abuse.  He assumed I must be lying because why would an educated female lawyer stay if my ex really was a bad as I claimed?  Umm because I had just lost my job, I was financially and emotionally dependent upon him, he treatened to destroy me, take away my kids, bankrupt me, etc... if I ever left him, and all of the other reasons absued women stay.  My judge seemed disgusted by me for being weak and not leaving.  It was really like being abused by the ExN all over again.

hhaw

Ditto for me, newday. 

My male Judge ruled against me twice, then reversed himself bc he failed to follow the rule of law both times.;  It was like being tormented by the court, along with my stbx ASPD.

I'm sure good father's are shafted in the courts too, but it's not always the case, IME. 
hhaw

What you are speaks so loudly in my ears.... I can't hear a word you're saying.

When someone tells you who they are... believe them.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
Nietchzsche

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness."
Eleanor Roosevelt