Random good for you info: Weighted blankets?

Started by moglow, February 01, 2019, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moglow

Does anyone have one or know someone who does?  I'm a horribly restless sleeper, bought a new mattress last year and admittedly my sleep has greatly improved, but I keep seeing info about weighted blankets.  Supposedly they help with anxiety and depression, as well as sleep issues.
I'd love to hear of your experience - seriously considering getting one for my birthday!
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

Associate of Daniel

I haven't heard of weighted bed blankets but many schools use weighted "cusions" for children on the spectrum who find it difficult to remain seated or be still.

They're a bit like a flat wheat/heat bag that sits across the child's knees.

I can't say that I've found them very effective for my students but other teachers have success with them.

Probably isn't much help, I'm sorry.

I wish I could find something to help my sleep. Even with a new mattress my back  seizes up every night. 😕

AOD

moglow

I'm sorry you're in the same boat, AoD, it's sure not fun.  I did a lot of online review shopping before I bought my mattress last year - there's so many out there!  I think my previous mattress [a knock-off tempurpedic] was too soft, plus it held heat something awful. I'd wake up with a full on sweat more often than not. I'm not a morning person on the best of days but add a really scattered night's "sleep" and it's not pretty.
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

D.Dan

My kids use all sorts of weighted items at school, vests, blankets, pillows, lap animals. My kids are higher up on the autism spectrum. They only like these items when they're in low energy mode, and want to relax (or need help relaxing). Something about the pressure (it's not too heavy because it's based on your weight) calms my kids. I believe the weighted items also helps them focus better sometimes (my oldest has difficulty blocking out other stimuli).

I have to admit that when I got to check out their items, I found the pressure kind of reassuring. Like a blanket hug. It felt secure. Hopefully you understand what I mean. I plan to buy some weighted blankets eventually for me and all my kids.

But it's not for everyone. Some people feel stifled by them, almost suffocating.

maybeimthecrazyone

I have a gaudy Korean blanket (search Amazon) which is about 10 lbs, however I sleep in a cool room <64 with only undergarment (cold rooms are proven to assist with sleep and more, google it!), otherwise the heat in the cocoon would be too much. I really like the heavy blanket though. Heavy blanket being a magic anxiety eliminator is suspect. However Im all for making the sleeping room a sanctuary of peace, whatever floats your boat IMO.

Whiteheron

I bought some weighted blankets for the kids and I this past Christmas. My son (age 15- anxiety, panic attacks and very restless sleeper) loves his. DD11, not so much, but she's a lot smaller. With mine, I wasn't sure if I liked it at first, but I've noticed I haven't (knock on wood) been randomly waking up at 3am and not been able to fall asleep until after 4:30 as would happen quite often. I notice I sleep through most nights now (with the occasional bathroom trip). After getting used to it, I love it. I can't argue with more sleep!

My friend has restless legs and her H bought her one for her birthday - she highly recommends them. She doesn't know what brand hers is, but the brand I went with starts with M (not sure if I can say it on here?).
You can't destroy me if I don't care.

Being able to survive it doesn't mean it was ever ok.

practical

Being able to turn in your sleep, change position is actually important and natural, so weighted blankets make no sense to me. This is also why memory foam mattresses aren't really great as you get stuck in the position it adapted to. Is your bedroom really dark at night? Is it cool? Do you have a sleep routine? Not using devices like cell phone, Kindle an hour before going to sleep or if so using reading glasses that filter out the blue light (it affects your inner clock readings). Making the bedroom a quiet oasis for the hour before turning off the lights (no TV and certainly not the news  :aaauuugh: ). Meditating in the evening can help.

Google "sleep hygiene" and you'll find some more ideas, here is a start: https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/sleep-hygiene
If I'm not towards myself, who is towards myself? And when I'm only towards myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" (Rabbi Hillel)

"I can forgive, but I cannot afford to forget." (Moglow)

xredshoesx

i don't have a weighted blanket per say but i 'bundle' when i need to, to relieve stress/ anxiety.  i have a couple of plush blankets i wrap myself in like a burrito and it really helps.

Unvitation to Drama

Target had some great weighted blankets (five and ten pounds) around the holidays. The price was reasonable. I don't have a weighted blanket per se, but I do have a full size Little Giraffe blanket and it is HEAVY, not hot and very relaxing.

CoffeeCup2

Cascade

I'd like to try one but am concerned they'd make me feel too hot. And yeah not in a good way.  ;D