Boundaries and religion

Started by StayWithMe, February 02, 2019, 11:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StayWithMe

Seems like it would be difficult to teach boundaries with a religious perspective since relgion preaches quite often obedience to others .... parents, spouse, certain people in the neighborhood.

I have thought about how priests had a real advantage in their abuse of parishioners, especially children.

In any case, I like the discussion of boundaries as it's necessary to identify a necessary / and or desired boundary and how best to implement it.

For example, I had to come to terms with the fact that my family does not have healthy boundaries when dealing with me and people I introduce them to, whether friends or someone I dating.

I decided that for me, anyone who encourages / seeks direct contact with my family is a dealbreaker.  I don't say this to people because, of ocurse, I would be called jealous, insecure, whatever........  But if this happenstance ever occurs again, I would quietly freeze that person out.  I can think of acouple whose contact I stopped...... and my family magically lost interest in them.

Whereas, I would feel very comfortable telling someone not to call me after 10 pm.

1footouttadefog

If you want no or little contact with your family then I would think it a deal breaker for new friends and acquaintances to become involved with them.

If dealing with people who knew your parents before you went less contact, this would perhaps be evaluated by you on a case by case basis.

Sniperon

Depending on where you live, religion may also make you feel better about yourself by making you feel part of your larger culture. People who are religious have higher self-esteem and better psychological adjustment than people who aren't, according to a January 2012 study. But this religion benefit only holds for people living in countries where religion is widespread and important. The findings, reported in the journal Psychological Science, suggest that a religious person would get a happiness boost in devout Turkey, but see no benefits in secular Sweden.