Possible good timing....We will see.

Started by 1footouttadefog, February 07, 2019, 11:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1footouttadefog

My pd and I own a rental house and a couple of lots in the country.  We bought them years back after selling our home in a high market at the top of pricing . We moved bought our on a super low market in a economically distressed County and bought these with the surplus. 

We had great tenants for going on six years.  About a year and a half ago the wife had completed a two year degree and became employed.  The couples two children are older now etc.  I expected that we would get a call this year.We did, last month they let us know they are buying a home and might be leaving next month. 

My pd is acting all worried about getting new tenants etc.  At the same time he has been giving a piece of land we own a lot of thought. 

He is never up front about anything and things only come out in bits and pieces through muddled arguments or strange conversations that jump around. 

He told me recently he had talked to a man about clearing the fence on our big lot.  Which is leased to a cattle many BTW, he seems to have forgotten that.

Then later he talks about not getting good renters etc.  On and on it goes.  I say we could perhaps sell the rental and put a small set up on our land.  He acts like he had not thought about that.  I then say, I would want to put it on the smaller of the two lots reserving the better land for us later or our kids if we sell our current home and relocate.

Then he gets all huffy.  He says I am trying to save it for after he is dead etc.  I said no, I am just not planning on moving until our high schooler is out of school.

More huffy from him.  I said also that the rental house would bring only enough to build a small rustic cottage or tiny home due to a well and septic and excavating etc. I also explained I would not want to spoil the larger lot with that as it was not a good investment. No two way comments about the money aspects, feasibility, or cost of things.  Just again with the waiting until he dies and keeping the lot for myself comments, this ironically interspersed with him stating he bought it for the kids to use later.  Okay??!@*

I then said I guess if you want to have use of that land now so badly, we couldn't put a small portable Amish cabin/ tiny home shed up and we'll and septic that he could use. And then move it to the other lot later, and put a new home such it would use the same well and septic.

He then mumbles around and says I am kicking him out and if I want him gone that bad he can move into the rental and not waste my time. 

This is just the first round of this, but perhaps it's a sign that pd wants his own space. 

This is something I would not work against.  The timing is good, so perhaps we will be setting up the rental for him soon. 

I don't think he could manage completely on his own as an adult due to his mental illness and some cognitive loss, but some time to myself and reducing the day to day for the kids might be a good thing and I could still help him manage repairs and maintenance and dealing with various aspects of adult life.

So glad I am not a slum lord, I have always kept the rental in a condition such that we could live in it also. 

Amazing that this happens when he is looking weight, feeling good again and is on the phone to an old female friend in another state.

That I will not work against him is an understatement.