Want to dress nicer

• 23 Replies

newlife33

Re: Want to dress nicer
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 02:20:12 PM »
I love the fashion on The MArvelous Mrs. Maisel.

My mother over the years has accused me of dressing frumpy.  And buying clothes too large.......o h dear, well if she and her mother had not "teased" me about being when I was growing up......

They filmed outside my apartment last year and I was standing next to her in a bodega!  She was beautiful, her style and confidence is incredible.

JollyJazz

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 04:02:09 AM »
Hi 1footouttadefog,

I really like having things prepared for the week ahead too!

Having things nicely pressed is so great, it sounds like you have some excellent systems :) :)

JollyJazz

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 04:02:49 AM »
They filmed outside my apartment last year and I was standing next to her in a bodega!  She was beautiful, her style and confidence is incredible.

That is awesome!!! :)

HS25362

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:34:53 PM »
Oh wow, I can so relate to this. I really struggle with wearing clothes that flatter my shape. I went through puberty early - C cup and wide hips by the time I was 12. My uBPD mother constantly made comments about how revealing everything I wore was. When she took me shopping, she would tell me everything was "too small" if it showed a hint of my shape. She still does this now that I'm an adult! She would also constantly imply that I was going to be molested, sexually assaulted, etc. if I didn't hide my body. Now she also makes snide comments about me flaunting my body in tight clothes to get men to take me out and buy me things.

I didn't really realize how much this affected my sense of style and confidence about my body until my friends started pointing out that they were shocked how different I looked when I put on something that is actually my size. I've also noticed that I have a reverse body confidence issue than I think a lot of women have - I absolutely hate the way I look in my often-baggy and unflattering clothes, but I'm much more accepting of my naked body.  ;D

I really like the advice given here and totally relate to the "who are you trying to impress?" inner critic. I'm about to move apartments, so this is a great time to dump my unflattering, unhappy clothes!