Want to dress nicer

Started by JollyJazz, February 12, 2019, 05:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newlife33

Quote from: StayWithMe on March 12, 2019, 07:30:30 PM
I love the fashion on The MArvelous Mrs. Maisel.

My mother over the years has accused me of dressing frumpy.  And buying clothes too large.......o h dear, well if she and her mother had not "teased" me about being when I was growing up......

They filmed outside my apartment last year and I was standing next to her in a bodega!  She was beautiful, her style and confidence is incredible.

JollyJazz

Hi 1footouttadefog,

I really like having things prepared for the week ahead too!

Having things nicely pressed is so great, it sounds like you have some excellent systems :) :)

JollyJazz

QuoteThey filmed outside my apartment last year and I was standing next to her in a bodega!  She was beautiful, her style and confidence is incredible.

That is awesome!!! :)

HS25362

Oh wow, I can so relate to this. I really struggle with wearing clothes that flatter my shape. I went through puberty early - C cup and wide hips by the time I was 12. My uBPD mother constantly made comments about how revealing everything I wore was. When she took me shopping, she would tell me everything was "too small" if it showed a hint of my shape. She still does this now that I'm an adult! She would also constantly imply that I was going to be molested, sexually assaulted, etc. if I didn't hide my body. Now she also makes snide comments about me flaunting my body in tight clothes to get men to take me out and buy me things.

I didn't really realize how much this affected my sense of style and confidence about my body until my friends started pointing out that they were shocked how different I looked when I put on something that is actually my size. I've also noticed that I have a reverse body confidence issue than I think a lot of women have - I absolutely hate the way I look in my often-baggy and unflattering clothes, but I'm much more accepting of my naked body.  ;D

I really like the advice given here and totally relate to the "who are you trying to impress?" inner critic. I'm about to move apartments, so this is a great time to dump my unflattering, unhappy clothes!

JollyJazz

Hi HS25362,

I'm sorry to hear about what you went through! It is so awful that your mother shamed you in that way. I wonder if she is a bit jealous of you and wants to take it out on you in her nasty comments.

There isn't anything wrong with wearing clothes that fit you, or ones that make you feel attractive and confident! Having a clothes make over sounds so awesome! :) Enjoy! I think its so great that you are doing that!