Another day, another vulture...

Started by WomanInterrupted, February 13, 2019, 12:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WomanInterrupted

So, Tuesday was going perfectly well, when I got a call from the nursing home.   :???:

Hmm.  It's been about a year.  So I answered it and no, Ray didn't fall, and didn't try to hit somebody or fling poo at them - my Uncle A called and demanded all the information he could get about Ray.  "Robin," the social worker, told him she'd have to speak to Ray's contact first, and didn't disclose my name.   :ninja:

I said, "Absolutely not.  They're just looking for money."

She said, "I had a feeling about that, but he didn't actually want to talk to Ray.  He just wanted every bit of information I could give him, including his medical conditions."

I said, "It doesn't matter - any information is better than none, and might give them a direction to start in, even though there isn't one."

She was very nice, and I was very nice to her - the system WORKS.   8-)  Any time they need something (permission to medicate Ray or give him a flu shot), I always respond, and in return, they protect me from Ray - and from vultures, determined to find his missing loot.  :roll:

But then, I got thinking about why A would want *all* the information he could get, regarding Ray - well, it's probably to try to figure out how much time he could have left, so he can tell everybody when they can roughly expect a windfall that's never going to come!   :doh:

And it was very clearly a message to me that they're *still out there* and expect money, when Ray does die.   :rofl:

That's when I think things will get interesting - oh, there will probably be a fishing expedition, here and there, before that time - but after Ray dies, and six months or so go by and checks don't start coming to the extended FOO, *that*  might be when somebody decides to call me directly and ask what gives.   :roll:

I'll have ONE conversation of, "All Ray's assets went to the nursing home.  He has nothing.  If you want to hire a forensic accountant, on your own dime, be my guest.  BYEEEEEEE!" before hanging up and blocking anybody that calls from the areas they live, and deleting phone messages without listening to them.   :ninja:

*This* is what happens when all you do is brag about how much money you have in the bank, in bonds, in life insurance, and how valuable your coins and stamps are - and everybody believes a Zillow guestimate that wasn't even close to reality - and they're all greedy AF!   >:(

Lord only knows what Ray told them over the years - and how much he inflated what he really had, to make himself look good (and ripe for a swindling!), and puff himself up, in his own mind, because, you know, wealthy = important.   :phoot:

The last time it happened, I was kind of stressed about it for a while, but this time, I'm just rolling my eyes and thinking, "Yeah.  Right.  You all care SO much...NOT!"   :evil2:

But it just shows you how messed up the entire FOO is - A did a YouTube interview about a sports start in the 40's, who died young.  Near the end of the video, he said, "Come back any time - nobody else does."   :violin:

Hmmm...so was he hoping to use the info on The Legend of Uncle Ray-Ray's Loot to try to get others to visit him, hoping he'd disclose vast sums of money they're all going to get, and possibly when they're going to get it, while basing *absolutely nothing* on FACTS?

Who the hell knows, but it wouldn't surprise me!

Or maybe he's "broke" again and needs more collagen filler and Botox, because the rest of him might be falling apart, but he wants that mug to look good, since it's THE most important thing.   :blink:

But...no matter how hard they kick, the ATM is still broken - and has a nice system to guard it against anybody trying to pry it apart, to see if there's any money inside.  :ninja: :thumbup: 8-)

Ray may have never done a thing to protect me, in his entire life, but I have to admit, it does sit well in my heart to protect him from attempts at financial exploitation, even if there are no finances to exploit.   :yes:

Every time something like this happens only reinforces how *happy* I am that I'm not actually related to ANY of them!   :evil2: :woohoo:

practical

I guess FM's turn into vultures? It is amazing how people think they have a right for this information!

A friend of M's insisted she had to talk to the doctors after M was committed to the SNF, couldn't believe they had not contacted her, because she knew M the longest (technically correct) and therefore the best  :blink:  :no: - sure she did  :roll:, she who had barely talked to M in years, not the family who lived with M, dealt with M and all her chaos and abuse and knew her health history.
If I'm not towards myself, who is towards myself? And when I'm only towards myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" (Rabbi Hillel)

"I can forgive, but I cannot afford to forget." (Moglow)

Amadahy

People are something else! Good on you for being awesome 😎 and thank you universe that the system does work!

I had an uncle pass who owned a sad little piece of land that I had a zillionth of a claim to. Didn't want it at all, never pursued it.  A cousin's wife tried to take me to court over it! I told her bumbling lawyer that I'd gladly sign my claim over - he has yet to get the papers to me. My relations don't know what to do when somebody doesn't want drama or a pittance of stuff.  LOL.

:hug:  You totally rock. 
Ring the bells that still can ring;
Forget your perfect offering.
There's a crack in everything ~~
That's how the Light gets in!

~~ Leonard Cohen

Psuedonym

You should group email them and say that Ray has decided to leave his vast wealth to the person who visits him the most in the facility up until the point of his death, then inform them all that, shockingly, there is no money after all. That's a terrible idea but it would be somewhat amusing. You may want to invest in an airhorn, however. You probably won't get a lot of follow up calls if you use it. :)

WomanInterrupted

Pseudonym, I could never inflict my disordered FOO on the poor staff!  They have a hard enough time with Ray and don't need a bunch of grumpy PDs barking orders, snapping their fingers at them, and treating them like servants!    :aaauuugh:

This is an accurate representation of Ray's extended FOO (especially if they're over 70):   :hulk: :hulk: :hulk: :pissed: :mad: :pissed: :blowup: :blowup: :dramaqueen:  :bawl:

And the air horn - I'd be peeling cats off the ceiling for *weeks.*   :bigwink:

But the guy in the parking lot, next door, who has a Mustang with no freaking exhaust system and *has* to rev his engine, multiple times, right by our back door?

That air horn could come in handy...   :evil2:

Amadahy - threatened to take you to court over your claim, because she was looking for drama?  That sounds like my MIL!  Even when there's NO drama, she still manages to find some, somewhere!   :wacko:

*Nicely done* on popping her drama balloon - and thanks for the encouragement.  It means a lot.   :yourock:

Practical - Yeah, human vultures, circling and waiting for Ray to drop dead, so they can try to swoop in, to pick his proverbial bones. 

Of course, A probably barked, "But I'm his BROTHER!"  a hundred or so times, but that doesn't mean squat when *he's known where Ray's been for the past 3 years, and this is the first time he's made *any* contact.*   :roll:

I'm still riffing on just *why* he wants *all* the information and diagnoses.  Does he think he's going to take out a life insurance policy on Ray, naming himself as the beneficiary?

And does he realize I'll be testifying for the prosecution, once his fraud is uncovered?   :evil2: :thumbup:

Oh, who the hell knows, with these people!  :doh:  It could be just as slow news day at the nursing home, so he  wants to pretend to have some kind of close relationship with a brother he hasn't seen in over 20 years, just to have something to talk about with anybody who can stand to listen for more than five minutes.   :roll:

I was a little jumpy today  - I kept getting calls that were either the wrong number or robocalls, looked up all of them and blocked them, just to be sure.

But will anybody actually *dare* call me?   :???:

I'm actually starting to wonder about that and frankly, I don't think they have the courage.  I mean, there's NO way to spin, "Can you believe the nerve of a woman I haven't talked to since maybe 1983 (or before!), who won't give me money from a man I ignored when he was alive!?"

Most likely, they'll buzz like angry hornets among themselves about that rotten *adopted* cousin (or niece), who ran off with Ray's money and left none for his REAL family.  :roll:

It's just so unbelievably stupid and unnecessary - as are most things on Planet PD.   :stars:

:grouphug:

lkdrymom

Quote from: practical on February 13, 2019, 07:21:26 AM
I guess FM's turn into vultures? It is amazing how people think they have a right for this information!

A friend of M's insisted she had to talk to the doctors after M was committed to the SNF, couldn't believe they had not contacted her, because she knew M the longest (technically correct) and therefore the best  :blink:  :no: - sure she did  :roll:, she who had barely talked to M in years, not the family who lived with M, dealt with M and all her chaos and abuse and knew her health history.

This sounds like my aunt. She is mad that the AL doesn't call her when my father goes to the ER. First she has no idea how often that is.  Second she visits maybe 3 times a year (last time  she picked the same day he was carted off to the ER so drove 90 minutes and he wasn't there...not my problem, she didn't tell me she was visiting and at that point they hadn't called to tell me he went) yet she expects to be updated on everything with him.  Why?  That is just more work for me. And I don't need her opinion on what I SHOULD be doing.  I did humor her and tell her what rehab he is staying in THIS WEEK.

spring13

WI, I am so glad you have a good relationship with Ray's facility. They sound like they really have their act together.

I had to laugh at your comment about not actually being related to these people. I have to say as an adoptee myself, there have been moments when some of my family's behaviors have caused me to say to my DH, 'I am glad I do not share bloodlines with them.'

KeepONKeepingON

Dear WI,

Hope those vultures spy some other thing to focus on and leave you alone.

Quote from: WomanInterrupted on February 14, 2019, 12:04:26 AM

Most likely, they'll buzz like angry hornets among themselves about that rotten *adopted* cousin (or niece), who ran off with Ray's money and left none for his REAL family.  :roll:

It's just so unbelievably stupid and unnecessary - as are most things on Planet PD.   :stars:

:grouphug:

:yeahthat:

I am sure Ray's family will get great mileage out of your imagined crimes! ;-)

I hope they leave you alone, it sounds like you have great systems in place to keep yourself and Ray out of their talons!!!

:bighug:

Fiasco

Quote from: spring13 on February 15, 2019, 09:09:48 AM

I had to laugh at your comment about not actually being related to these people. I have to say as an adoptee myself, there have been moments when some of my family's behaviors have caused me to say to my DH, 'I am glad I do not share bloodlines with them.'

Same and same!

Yael924

My uPD Mom used to tell me I wasn't really her kid, there was a mix up at the hospital. It gave me soooooooo much hope!

But I truly understand your sense of relief. Wish I could share it! I can only bank that I've got a boatload of recessive genes myself.   :tongue2:

stasia

WI, this is so completely messed up. I'm really glad that Ray's nursing home staff has your back on stuff like this.