Resources for returning to work after FOG & extended absence?

Started by RavenLady, February 15, 2019, 09:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RavenLady

So...my health has improved enormously since coming Out of the FOG, facing parental PD abuse and C-PTSD. I still have a loooonnnngg way to go in my healing, but my physical health has made such a sharp turn (yay!) I am wanting to try to re-enter the workforce. Also, money.

It's been 5 years. I'm middle-aged. I can't just pick up where I left off because 1) my body isn't ready for that, 2) I lack the confidence after so much has happened, 3) I've changed pretty dramatically as has my perspective on work, especially coming to terms with unhealthy ideas about where my worth comes from and the workoholism that drove me and 4) I would need to seriously re-tool to perform again at that level anyway as my former profession changes constantly too. Before I had to stop working due to illness I had achieved a lot professionally, but I'm not ready to jump back into the rat race at my previous pace...or maybe any pace...Everything feels very tenuous and scary. I know I need to take baby steps. On the other hand, I am on paper way overqualified for a low-key entry level job. Also, I'm afraid I would go nuts flipping burgers with teenagers. (And probably drive them nuts, too.)

Just wondering if anyone can recommend any resources to help me wrap my head around all this and psych myself up as I try to approach what looks from here like an enormously uphill climb that leaves me feeling panicky and overwhelmed and fighting toxic shame? I have a good T but honestly we have so much to work through already I need to expand my resources...

Thanks.
sometimes in the open you look up
to see a whorl of clouds, dragging and furling
your whole invented history. You look up
from where you're standing, say
among the stolid mountains,
and in that moment your life
becomes the margin
of what matters
-- Terry Ehret

xredshoesx

i am so glad to hear you are taking these big steps forward for both your emotional and physical health!

i went through a work bullying thing for close to two years i walked off my job and found something AS FAR from what i used to as possible while i got my head together and figured out what i needed/ wanted to do.

my best advice is, find what brings you joy at work.  if it's not what you are trained/ degreed/ experienced in, maybe sign up for a temp service and let their staff find jobs that are not long term commitments that fit your skill set and that can ease you back into the workforce that may lead to full time work in a different field/ career path that you love.

i ended up back on my career path after my 'retirement' and the sojourn helped me refocus and find the environment that was healthiest for me to thrive in.

KFel024

Dear RavenLady,

Glad to hear that you are feeling better and looking to reenter the workplace.

From my end, highly recommend taking the shotgun approach to finding new employment.  What I have done in the past is, make the best one page resume I can, apply to as many jobs in my previous/current field to companies that I am willing to work for and locations commute to and then wait for responses.  On-line resources like Indeed, LinkedIn and Monster are pretty solid.

In the periphery, could look through local classifieds and craigslist postings for jobs that are available but maybe not ones you would have seeked out prior.  These could be tailored towards personal interests and/or hobbies.

Also, contacting recruiters never hurts, however this is not something I have done in the past.  They typically would reach out to me once I had posted a resume on-line at one of the aforementioned job posting websites.

Worst case, maybe you do end up getting your feet wet in an underemployment situation.  While likely not ideal, nothing wrong with earning a paycheck from an honest day's work.

Good luck.   

1footouttadefog

Maybe working through a temporary staffing agency would allow you to get to work in small doses and have breaks in between.  Additionally you might get to see some various evironments and what it's like out there these days without the hassle of getting hired and quitting several jobs.

Dukkha

Wow, we are on the same story arc!  I went through exactly this.  I am 3 years post-implosion where hospitalization led to my quitting a high powered job.  I have since re-evaluated my identity, values, stressors, and preferences.  I shed the identity forced on me by PD parents.  I abandoned my career for which I had advanced degrees, licenses, etc.

I realized that I prefer to do good, work with animals and people, educate, and be outdoors working with my hands more than my brain.  It is completely the opposite of what I was doing, and boy am I happier!

I don't have much advice, other than don't be afraid to be your true self and pursue jobs that align with your nature and abilities.  I found the helping professions also had more workers and bosses who were less authoritarian and therefore less triggering for me.  You might try volunteering as a way to test drive some jobs or types of work.  For instance, if you wanted to see if you liked working with the public, you could volunteer at a library or hospital info desk. 

Good luck!  Happy times are ahead for you I think!

treesgrowslowly

Hi RavenLady,

As I think about your post I am thinking that an advantage you may have over others is that contract work may be ok for now instead of full time permanent that a lot of other people want, so they don't go after contract work.
Employers who have funds for a shorter term contract are often hoping to find someone who can complete a project / job without a training period and since you are older you have the advantage of much work experience to bring to a project they need someone to take on.

That's my two cents.

What sorts of resources would help you right now? Are you looking to network within your profession or other ideas? Job fairs on college campuses could be helpful. You could say that you are exploring a new career path / more education / training and who knows, some new ideas for jobs may come up as you talk with people.