My father, the narcissist

Started by JanetJ, February 21, 2019, 01:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JanetJ

Hello everyone, I'm new here so I hope I get this right. I don't even know where to begin. I have almost 30 years of stories I can share, but few things will give you a true understanding of this tumultuous relationship I have with my dad. I guess I can start with the beginning.
I find it odd that I have no memories of my father until I was, I'd guess 6 or 7. My earliest memories of him are all negative. He would stop talking to me when I was in second grade If I got caught telling a lie. I mean, he literally wouldn't talk to me for days!! Not a single word. He would chastise every behavior of mine and tell me it wasn't ladylike. He would berate my mother if the food she cooked wasn't to his liking (though he never stepped foot in the kitchen himself).  He even stopped working completely 20 years ago and has refused to get a job because he feels he is going to be famous.  :flat:. He's utterly delusional. And has allowed our family to suffer financially for decades because of his refusal to work in any aspect. He won't even clean up after himself. Anyway, I have many many stories I can share, but just wanted to shed light on some of my early experiences with my dad.  I'm here for support. I hope to get some replies. Thanks for reading

coyote

Welcome to Out of the FOG. If you suspect there is a PD operating with your dad you have come to the right place. I'd suggest reading through the Toolbox as it has a ton of great information. Postin on the boards will give you a lot of support and feedback. If you don't mind I'm gonna move your post to the Welcome Mat where it will get more responses. Once again welcome.
How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
Wayne Dyer

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?
Capt. Jack Sparrow

Choose not to be harmed and you won't feel harmed. Don't feel harmed and you haven't been. -Marcus Aurelius

Malini

Hi JanetJ,

Welcome to Out of the FOG!

The toolbox is a great place to learn about the different kinds of PD and may offer you some pointers on what you may be dealing with.

You mention behaviours which caused you pain and I'm sorry you had to go through that while you were growing up. For me, the first step to coming Out of the FOG was recognising and accepting that these behaviours weren't normal. My therapist had to point that out, as it was all I knew, and thought it was OK, as I probably deserved it anyway  :stars:.

It sounds as if it was difficult for you growing up with your dad and you will find people with similar stories on the boards who can offer insight, empathy and support as you work through some of the things you mentioned in your post.

Take care.

"How do you do it?" said night
"How do you wake and shine?"
"I keep it simple." said light
"One day at a time" - Lemn Sissay

'I think it's important to realise that you can miss something, but not want it back' Paul Coelho

'We accept the love we think we deserve' Stephen Chbosky