She's taking credit for my writing

Started by Writingthepain, March 01, 2019, 07:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Writingthepain

As a writer I bounce ideas and thoughts off others online and in person. One of those people is my npd mother. Who does have opinions on my writing (and on everything else) I mostly don't take on board those opinions but cos of that she's currently claiming that she has cowrote my books! Without writing a single word mind! I worry that if I ever hit the big time that she would insist on getting publicity and cut of the royalties

Amadahy

Hi, fellow writer! 🙂  I would not bounce ideas off your mom.  If the online program is something she frequents, you could still participate, but under a different name.  You could also publish under a pen name. 

As an aside, my Nmom critizes my writing.   :stars:  LOL.

Best wishes! 
Ring the bells that still can ring;
Forget your perfect offering.
There's a crack in everything ~~
That's how the Light gets in!

~~ Leonard Cohen

Adria

As a writer, myself, I agree with Amadahy. I would not filter anything through my npd mother. I would fear her intentions may not be honorable. Maybe you could find a writer's group near you to bounce ideas off from, or get in contact with another author to help, but probably not the Momma.
:no:
For a flower to blossom, it must rise from the dirt.

Andeza

Let me add there are also numerous groups and forums online targeted to budding authors if there's nothing local to you. But I also agree with the previous responses: find someone else. I generally don't let my M read a final draft of anything. I'll let her peruse rough, early drafts for her own amusement, but I'm not looking for feedback and she has been informed of that. I'm really only providing free entertainment. Entertainment that will likely go through a final, transformative draft that may or may not resemble the version she actually got to read. Aside from that, mine is far too lazy and waify to pursue any kind of copyright claim. Nor would she be able to remember enough details to back that claim up.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Hopelessly stuck

I am also a writer and write on Quora a question and answer board. I am required to maintain a public Name on that board. I write many answers on Narcissistic Personality and healing. I used to worry uNM would read anything. For once it worked to My advantage. 2)She is only interested in herself. 2) When I won an award for a writer of the year 2018, she ignored it because SHE wasn't getting attention. 3) I tell her I write on Mental Illness and of course, She avoids that like the plague.

Although I am NOT a lawyer to copyright written material by You. Send Yourself a letter in the mail. In that letter put a message that You wrote this on such and such a day and that this date would be the Official date of copyright should any problems arise. Then mail Yourself YOUR work. To avoid confusion put a note on the outside of the envelope for reference.

NEVER OPEN the envelope. IF you have a problem You may present it to the Judge or Your Lawyer (maybe other witnesses?)to open it at that date and give a legal deposition on what writing was in the envelope. Most computers have a time stamp. Make sure You wait a few days and time stamp Your work and the paper YOU give her. It should have a few days in between.

;) Keep
Controllers, abusers and manipulative people don't question themselves. They don't ask themselves if the problem is them. They always say the problem is someone else. Darlene Ouimet

Peace Lily

Hi, I am not a writer but can relate to your Mum trying to take the credit. Mine has taken my design ideas ( and others) applied them to her home, and then claimed them as her own :doh: I used to think she just didn't remember I had made the suggestions, but now I know better!
"It is not the the bruises on the body that hurt. It is the wounds of the heart and the scars on the mind". Aisha Mirza