She fell on her face and is medicated

Started by broken, March 14, 2019, 09:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broken

I just got home from the ER.  Last night I got a call, NM had fallen on her back step.  She landed on her face, broke her nose, bled like crazy (blood thinner meds).  She has one of those life-alert type alarms that went off, or she might still be lying there.

I took my sweet time getting to the hospital, took a nap & shower, made up an excuse to my cousin & gcbro, and arrived at almost midnight. 

They had told me with such concern to brace myself, as she looked awful.  Her face is bruised and swollen, nose bandaged, head wrapped.  Barely recognizable — but especially — because she smiled when she saw me.  She was so heavily medicated that she was a completely different person: pleasant, chatty, sweet.  She was attentive and spoke with empathy, that 'moment of clarity' that NPDs get lasted all night.  The swelling erased her Mommy Dearest sharp edges (she actually does resemble Joan Crawford haha) and gave her soft, rounded features (now think Sally Field!).

I stayed all night long, something I haven't done since my foggy co-dependent days.  It was like living in a dream, with a different woman for a mother, both the happiest and saddest night of my life.  In my fantasy, the head bump turned her around  :bigwink:

No doubt that by my next visit the meds will have worn off, or worse - made her agitated (basically normal  :roll: ). 

I know NPD is a spectrum disorder and incurable, similar to autism maybe, or a chemical imbalance?  For me, it will always be one of the great mysteries of life: why do some end up with this and not others?

If only there was a pill for empathy!  Have any of you had a similar experience with a NPD after a head injury or heavy medication?

practical

Quote from: broken on March 14, 2019, 09:58:36 AM
I stayed all night long, something I haven't done since my foggy co-dependent days.  It was like living in a dream, with a different woman for a mother, both the happiest and saddest night of my life.  In my fantasy, the head bump turned her around  :bigwink:

No doubt that by my next visit the meds will have worn off, or worse - made her agitated (basically normal  :roll: ). 
I understand, you know now that normal is somewhere present in your M, but it takes a bump on the head and heavy meds to come out. You had a glimpse of what could have been, and it is very sad.

This recently happened with my MIL, she was in hospital for some infection, got medicated and turned into this sweet, funny, somewhat coy girl, who was also nice. Unfortunately with the meds being tampered off her aggressive, demanding persona came back.

If I'm not towards myself, who is towards myself? And when I'm only towards myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" (Rabbi Hillel)

"I can forgive, but I cannot afford to forget." (Moglow)

Fiasco

Yep! D.H. and I joked that BPDm's life threatening fall might have knocked some sense into her. It didn't last.

Andeza

I'll admit I'm jealous. When uBPDm is that heavily medicated she mostly sleeps and pretty much barks at everyone if she has to talk at all.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Zebrastriped

Broken, I'll admit to liking my mother much better on meds than off.  It was like the meds vanquished the venom, as well as the pain.  Sadly, she learned nothing about behavior and consequences while on the meds.